Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Please Help with Basic CSS Page Edit

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    kcc
    Participant

Hello,

I am building a new website on css in Dreamweaver, but don’t know how to edit basic elements like the header title and the names of menu navigation links without having to make the changes on each individual html page. How do I make the changes so that they populate all of the pages I create?

Senff
    Participant

Depending on which language you use (PHP, ASP, uhhhh… I don’t really know), you can create one header and one footer, and then include it on all other pages. Then, all different parts are compiled/combined into single pages, so when you change the one header file you have, it changes on all pages.

For example, with PHP you can include a header on another page using some code like this:

<?php include 'header.php'; ?>

To be perfectly honest, I don’t know if Dreamweaver has any way of simplifying it or handling it at all, but I don’t think it can act as a webserver and only an editor, so it’s not really a Dreamweaver issue but a matter of which webserver you use.

kcc
    Participant

I am using this theme:

http://bootstraptaste.com/moderna-wordpress-theme-free/

Where it has the title “Moderna” I want to change that to the company name, but only make the change once.

At the top right of the page where the navigation says “Home”, “Features”, etc. I want to change those names, but again not have to do it 10 times on each separate page. Is there a way to do that?

Senff
    Participant

Well, that’s an entirely different issue that doesn’t really have anything to do with Dreamweaver, your web server or PHP.

You can probably change the name “Moderna” in the WordPress settings (Settings – General – Site Title).

The menu items can be changed in the WordPress Menu section (Appearance – Menus). When you change a name of a menu item, it will be changed on every page in the site.

kcc
    Participant

Thanks so much for answering. I really appreciate your help and I hate to be a pain…but I am developing the site offline because I don’t want it to be live until it is finished. So I can’t make the changes in WordPress because it’s not live as a wordpress site. I am building it offline in Dreamweaver. Is there not a way to edit the css files where the edits will display on all the pages without editing the same things on each individual page I’m building?

kcc
    Participant

I think I found an answer to my question. Thank you again Senff for your willingness to be of assistance. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.