Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Optimise a page with 5000 images

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    leehughes

Hi,

I have made a creative project http://www.bollocks-to-poverty.com/grid/

In which I will try and raise £10,000 for charity…

I need to get this page highly optimised due to the amount of images.. I was thinking of add a lightbox effect to each photo which, i’m guessing would mean that it would be a very heavy load for the page as it would have to load the full image first right?

Is there anyway I can do to speed everything up? Will I still have be able to have the lightbox plugin without too much delay? Anything else I can do to speed everything up as much as possible?

Thanks

TheDoc

5,000 images on one page? Nay nay. You can set up some pagination – maybe a max of 50 images per page. That’s how you optimize!

leehughes
    TheDoc

Ooohhhhh I see… hmmmm… that’s a tough one.

Other than optimizing each image individually, I’m not sure I have a solution for you. Having said that, linking to an image via lightbox won’t make it pre-load – so you shouldn’t have to worry about that.

leehughes

hmm..

Well i’m going to smush every image and i’m hopefully moving to a dedicated server and I have adding nice stuff to my .htaccess file

The part i’m confused with is do I upload a 13 by 13px like in the link or if i can upload a 300×200 photo add the lighbox effect to each one..

Wouldn’t the larger image mean something has to re-size the image to fit in the grid? Wouldn’t this cause delay in loading?

TheDoc
    "leehughes" wrote:
    Wouldn’t the larger image mean something has to re-size the image to fit in the grid? Wouldn’t this cause delay in loading?

Yes – I was thinking more of manually creating the gallery – where you would create a separate thumbnail file for each photo. I’m not sure if you do it dynamically that a new file is created – are you using WordPress for this?

leehughes

yup wordpress

EhhWhat

isnt there a jquery plugin that will only load content on the page if its visibile? So as a users scrolls down your site it will then load the next line of images and the next etc rather than loading them all at once?

leehughes

Not too sure..

TheDoc
    "leehughes" wrote:
    yup wordpress

Hmmmm that could be trouble then – it will probably try to load each image in full. I don’t know enough about how it is creating the thumbnail to help you though – not sure if it’s creating a new file or not.

Sorry Lee!

leehughes

No probs..

I will have to upload the 13px photos and hope for the best :)

leehughes

what about creating a single image with all photos and using an image map?

Someone told me that today which would be the highest performing way. I would only have to load one image then. Is this right?

TheDoc

You could do that, but it would be a pain in the ass to set up.

leehughes

couldn’t be worse than adding 5000 images then re-arranging them to spell the word then adding them again in the right order ;)

TheDoc

haha no, that sounds like a pain in the ass as well.

I’m looking forward to seeing the final product of this (I still don’t particularly have a good idea of what you’re trying to accomplish!) – so be sure to let us know when you’re done!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.