Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Opacity Inheritence

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    treyrust

I’m working on my new portfolio site, which has a semi-transparent container DIV, and inside it is a solid colored DIV.

But that’s just the problem. I’m trying to do all of this with CSS3, but the opacity from the container is inherited to the content DIV.

I’ve found some hackey solutions, but is there anything I could do otherwise? I would like to keep my code as clean as possible…

My only other thought would be to just use POSITION and overlap the two elements, but I don’t like that “solution” at all.

Trey.

TheDoc

You’ve hit the nail on the head, the only way around that is some absolute positioning and z-index.

There is this: http://piddmedia.com/tutorials/cross-browser-opacity-that-stops-inheritance/ …but I haven’t tried it.

treyrust

Position wouldn’t work, because I want the container transparent and the content solid. so it would have to be in the container if I wanted it to move with the content, which I do.

But yeah, RGBA works perfectly, Thanks!

And I don’t care if it doesn’t work in older versions of I.E. I’m using so much CSS3 its just a joke to try and make this one thing work…

Trey.

OniLinkCR

Damnit, I wish I had bumped in to this earlier; there needs to be a fix to the opacity rule on CSS3 so you can overrule it like other rules. Oh well, RGBA next time it is.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.