Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Need help with pricing, first client!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    codefire
    Participant

Hello Tricksters!

After much deliberation I have decided to begin freelancing for the first time, designing new websites, and doing development for potential ecommerce etc. I now have my first client coming on board and their website will be fairly easy, but I have no idea how to come up with an appropriate estimate for the work.

They need a formative website to describe their products and services, ability to post news (blog), update site with new photos, generate leads through contact form.

They are not very computer literate and are asking if they can pay an ongoing maintenance fee to have me perform some of their website updates when they occur.

I am not sure how many hours it would take me to develop, and it is my first client so I would want to offer a discount on what I might normally charge moving forward.

Can anyone share their wisdom and offer some insight on how to calculate the estimate for my first client?

-Chris

chrisburton
    Participant
    Alen
    Participant

There has been so many discussions about this on these forums.

I’ll just add:

Learn as much as possible about the process. Know that when starting out, no matter what the business is, it takes good 2-3 years before you really start turning profit. In the beginning you will make mistakes (including pricing your self). When you make mistakes, you can then evaluate things better and come to your own conclusions of what to charge, and how to structure your business. You also have to take into account your living situation. For example, I have two kids, and I value my time way more than what I used to when I was single. I have to put food on the table, pay for car, pay for house… as you can see I have to take those things into consideration, because if I don’t I would be wasting my time. Your situation might be different. That is why it’s hard to say what you should charge. In addition to other unknown variables. Hope that helps, -Alen.

chrisburton
    Participant

$300/hr for a Corporate Lawyer? Jeez. That’s insanely cheap.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.