Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Naming of different components and patterns.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    WonderJunky
    Participant

hey guys

I’m having a bit of trouble coming up with good names for various components on sites I’m building.

Have a look at this mock-up: http://imgur.com/kjtbDLn

At the top we obviously have a nav bar and a header. On the left is a logo, icon, or brand. On the right is the nav menu.

But how about below that where it says “Welcome”?
    And the area below that where it says “Adventurer | Photographer?
    Is that a kicker?

Finally, the area with the three icons. Commonly used as an about me or a marketing area. What’s this called?

Are there any good links or resources you guys can recommend for this sort of thing?
    Thanks!

Paulie_D

Here’s my question.

Does it matter?

If you are part of a team then everyone being in sync and knowing what you are talking about is important then a naming pattern is probably a good idea.

If not, you can call it what you want. As long as you know what it means then that is all that matters.

WonderJunky
    Participant

Yes, it does matter. You gonna help me out or what? :P

Paulie_D

My point is…it really doesn’t matter what you call them as long as it’s clearly understood (either personally or within a team) what you are referring to.

In my company we have on/off switches in a databases called “Fred / Barney”, servers have names like “Zeus / Apollo / Athena”.

Would you know what we are referring to…obviously not…but internally we all know what we are referring to.

Calling something “Shout Out” or “area-main-banner” is entirely a personal choice…to the outside world who won’t see your code it’s irrelevant.

Shikkediel
    Participant

I can only comment that for finding short and obvious variable names in JS, I often spend some time on Google translate and Thesaurus.com :

http://www.thesaurus.com/browse/synonym

WonderJunky
    Participant

Nice. Thanks for the tips guys.

I settled on welcome, kicker, and bullets (or lockup) for each of those sections respectively.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.