Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Back End Multiple WP Categories with Same Name

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Jason Ardener
    Participant

Hi all,

Ran in to a bit of an issue recently. I’ve been learning WordPress as a I go along and am well aware I have have missed out on some key tricks. I have created a website that has a large number of categories, the issue I am having is the conflict of categories with the same name, for example – if it were a shop it would be like this:

Mens
    – Hats
    – Shirts

Womens
    – Hats
    – Shirts

WordPress doesnt allow the same name of a category to be used. What is then typically the way of doing this? At the moment I have made the categories uniquely named which isnt ideal. I would want the URL to be mysite.com/base/mens/hats/post-name. Is this where new taxonomies come in? If I wanted a Mens page would I be able to grab all the ‘sub-categories’ from Mens if they are not actually categories but instead a new taxonomy? Or is it in fact nothing to do with taxonomies?!

Hope that was clear enough..

Thanks

Senff
    Participant

Keep in mind that the “Category” selection already is a taxonomy. It’s the one taxonomy that is included with a default WordPress install.

Now, it IS possible to have subcategories to have the same name, so this should not be a problem at all:

Mens
    – Hats
    – Shirts

Womens
    – Hats
    – Shirts

But indeed, in the path there will be a distinction (as long as you have the proper Permalink settings, like %category%/%postname%), the paths will be something like this:

site.com/men/hats/some-post
    site.com/men/shirts/some-other-post
    site.com/women/hats-women/yet-another-post
    site.com/women/hats-women/and-another-post

Having any additional, custom taxonomies probably won’t help — it’d act the same as the “Category” taxonomy, in such that it will “rename” the category name in the path if it’s duplicate.

Jason Ardener
    Participant

Ah I see, thank you. Is there no way of having both men/hats and women/hats then? Is this perhaps where tags come in instead? I understand why we cant have multiple of the same permalink as WordPress wouldnt know which to show.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Back End’ is closed to new topics and replies.