Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Multiple Columns with CSS 3

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    nextstoplondon
    Participant

Hello all,

I am currently in the process of testing CSS 3 columns and it has been giving me a bit of headache so far – not so much that Firefox is less compatible etc., which I am happy to cater for seperately, it’s more the issues with the transitions between the two columns.

For a better understanding of the issue, please find a picture below:
    http://www.rune-n-roll.com/breaks.png

The first two lines – headline & date or subline have been given the col-span property, so that the actual texts start below these two lines. The text is wrapped in

elements which have 2em padding to the bottom.

The issue resulting from this is, that if the website decides to break the text right below a paragraph, the 2em padding will be added to the next column, making the layout look somewhat awkward, as the text will now have 2em space to the top.

Of course I could tell the p element to have the page-break-inside: avoid / break-inside: avoid property, but I wondered if there’s a more elegant approach, with which I can tell the page not to take into account the margin in the next column?

Many thanks,
    Phil

Paulie_D

We really can’t diagnose much from an image.

Could you make a minimal demo in Codepen.io deemonstrating this issue?

But page-break-inside: avoid / break-inside: avoid would seem optimal.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.