Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums JavaScript MSNBC.com scrollbar jump links

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Hello, I’m thinking about mimicking the jump links that can be found along the scrollbar on msnbc.com (select articles). I thought this was a cool effect, and was wondering if it would be useful to anyone?

Example – http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41883479/ns/world_news-mideastn_africa/

I’ve considered the best way to write the markup for something like this – and think it may work well for articles especially. I’m thinking that the best way would be to create a table of contents at the beginning of an article that would link to specific divs further on down the page. This TOC and the jump-links would be hidden from anyone with javascript enabled, though jQuery could use the position and information within the jump-links to position them along the scrollbar. For example, if a jump link div were positioned 63% down of the total page height, then the jump link would be positioned 63% down the scrollbar.

Worth a bit of coding, or no? What do you guys think?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • The forum ‘JavaScript’ is closed to new topics and replies.