Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Moving To CSS3 and HTML5?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    ChrisBull

Could someone please explain this to me… Is moving to css3 and html possible at the moment? I know this website is running html5 but do you have to create a whole new site for browsers that don’t support it?
    Is css3 and html5 fully made? Will all browsers eventually support it or just new ones and anything older than, what, ie7? never support it? What happens if you have built a site with html5 and the browser does not support it, does it fall back to something?

chrisburton
    Participant

It is possible at this moment and a lot of people are using both. In fact, I encourage it! There are a few things such as video that are still icky at this point but that shouldn’t stop you. For IE9 there is a js shim you can place in your header. In the future all browsers will support it as that is how technology is changing, otherwise they would be left out of the game. All browser versions however will not be supporting it. You create fallbacks yourself, HTML and CSS are not auto-generated.

ChrisBull

K – So really you end up having to create two sites? One for the majority whose browsers don’t support it and one for the few whose do? Or is it the other way around?
    Seems to me to just be another hurdle – Should the site be ie6 compatible, should the site enable javascript and now should we have html and css3… I agree with the technology changing and other browsers getting left behind but tell that to the business/school/uni world whose systems have been setup in ie6 and so won’t change…

chrisburton
    Participant

Well, Microsoft has stated they will be issuing forced updates to IE9 in their automatic updates. Who’s to say Google, Apple and Mozilla won’t do the same? It seems like you’re freaking out here with all the questions, lol. I don’t believe in people saying your site should be compatible with all browsers because if you do not have the user base for IE6, why code for it? Should the site enable javascript, huh? It’s not really creating two sites because you’re only fixing what is wrong in IE6 or whatever version.

ChrisBull

LOL, I’m not freaking out, and they weren’t meant to be questions, I was just complaining that it’s another thing to think about when creating a site (but thanks for they replies all the same). Also, I meant should the site use javascript (Will the user have it enabled…), and your right, If your user base isn’t using ie6 then i wouldn’t code for it, but as a first start up whose to you know what type of browser your user base will use… If you don’t have ie6 compatibility and then it turns out everyone who views your site is using it (Unlikely I know) but by the time you’ve added ie6 compliance you could have lost a lot of business.

chrisburton
    Participant

IE6 will go away and people will learn. To be honest, I don’t see a lot of IE6 users other than corporate so not sure of that argument. Javascript is rarely turned off so I wouldn’t worry about it. As a test, go around with javascript turned off and see how quickly you’ll want to turn it back on.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.