Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Migrate WordPress site to a New Domain and New Server

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Mazhar
    Participant

Hello,

I have created a demo website for a client in WordPress using WP template: http://mazharkhan.com/fxpigments2/

Client liked the design and approved for the same. Now i work on his domain and server , so how can i move entire website from my domain and server to his domain and server?

Is there any simple way to do it because i have no knowledge about Database i know how to use FTP.

Any help is appreciated!

Peace,

Mazhar

PicnicTutorials
    Participant

Get his login info. Pick a FTP to use. Login via FTP to his server. Transfer all the files.

Leonhard Ortner
    Participant

hi mazhar19,

i will discribe my way doing this:

1. Copy all Files from “DEV-FTP” and upload it to a sub-folder on the LIVE-FTP
    p.E.: domain-tld/new-site/*files go here*

2. make a Database-Backup from your DEV-SITE

3. create a Database at your LIVE-SITE/HOST and import your DB

4. alter your wp-config.php file to fit your need p.E.:
    define(‘DB_NAME’, ‘database_name_here’);
    define(‘DB_USER’, ‘username_here’);
    define(‘DB_PASSWORD’, ‘password_here’);

5. Load this file to your LIVE-SITE-Folder
    http://interconnectit.com/products/search-and-replace-for-wordpress-databases/

6. IMPORTANT – Be sure to always have a BackUp! ;)

7. run replace.php and follow instructions *read carefully!* at the point where u should “replace” some kinde of words replace OLD-DOMAIN with NEW-DOMAIN
    p.E.: localhost:8888 -> newmegasite.com

8. In the Adminpane of your new Host u have to change where the Domain points, Domain should point to sub-folder we created in Step1…

So you could get up your site without going “offline” with the old one.

I also recommend the Plugin “BackWPup” -> in combination with Dropbox it works realy nice and u get an tar.gz with all your Files (all WP-Files inkl. .htaccess and so on), be sure to enable “Backup Plugins”.

wbr
    byt3

Mazhar
    Participant

Can someone please help me with video tutorial ? this database thing is little difficult for me to get it.

chrisburton
    Participant

You need to export the database, first. Then import it using his PHPMyAdmin account.

At this point, don’t view the website. You need to change a few things in the database.

@TheDoc
    What is that plugin to change database URL’s?

chrisburton
    Participant

By “so much easier”, if you mean skipping two short and simple steps, yes it is.

@JoshWhite
    ill never remember the name of the plugin.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.