Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Media Temple Servers Any Good?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Hi I always hear about Media Temple (MT) how good they are and how cool and how many developers are using them. Their price seems reasonable but when ever I read reviews on them they are nothing but negative. Slow page loads, poor support, downtime, and no help what so ever.

But why do people promote them? Who are actually using MT? Can anyone tell me their experience with them? I am interested in their Dedicated Virtual. Be nice to hear first hand users on MT. Would you recommend them?

Maybe Chris Coyier can share his views?

TheDoc

I use them, and I like them.

The (gs) servers sometimes go down, but nothing horrendously bad. I’ve found customer service to be great, actually. If you’re going to be hosting a lot of client websites, I’d recommend going the (dv) route. It’s more than double the price of (gs), but you should be able to make that up in hosting income from your clients.

I’ve been with Godaddy, then to Hostgator, and now I’m at Media Temple. So far, I’ve liked the overall experience of MT more than the other two and I think it’s worth the money.

As the cheapest solution, I think Godaddy’s actually a decent deal. The big problem I have with Godaddy which led me to leave was the vast limitations they have on alot of their server. For example, I had TONS of trouble just getting basic contact forms to go through, and getting htaccess to work is was a nightmare. Godaddy is also so ad laden it finally just became a huge annoyance.

Hostgator wasn’t bad, but their tech support blew. Plus I couldn’t access anything unless I actually had my cpanel login info. Another really terrible feature of Hostgator was that they couldn’t even show you a list of the domains you owned. Just really blaring problems imo.

Then to MT – so far I’ve called a few times to MT and I have to say that their tech support has been top notch. I had to call once at 2am and it was fast and they did an excellent job. I’m still learning a few things about how MT works, but so far I’ve liked the structure a lot more than the other two solutions I’ve used. The backend is nice and easy to use (as opposed to GoDaddy’s – man that thing was a trainwreck).

So far I’m giving MT the top pick right now from what I’ve experienced. It’s been a couple of months and I’ve yet to see any down time and it’s not any slower or faster than either Hostgator or Godaddy.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.