Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other MAMP PRO using user www/mysql

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    saemosaemo

Hey everyone,

I am trying to set up a new virtual host with MAMP PRO. In the hosts section I have the name example.dev and it is pointing to sites/example

In the Server section under the general tab I have:
    Run Apache/mySQL as user www/mysql, the Apache port at :80.

When I type in example.dev in my browser I get the message “The Virtual Host was set up successfully…Now web contents can be added and this placeholder page should be replaced or deleted.”

This is great but how do I get it to see the wordpress folder that I downloaded into that root folder? When I delete that file as it suggests the Forbidden error occurs. I can get wordpress to work using the regular localhost:8888/wordpress url, but there is the security concern when you “run Apache/MySQL server” as name/name instead of “www/mysql”

I thought it might be because I couldnt understand what Chris wanted at the beginning of Screencast #87: Moving Up with MAMP which reads:

“…Go to the file/folder you’re trying to access, right click and View Info. at the bottom there is a box for permissions, and just change for the user _www (add it if it’s not in the list, it might be www) and give it read and write permissions for whatever it needs.”

Do I add a new user called “www/mysql”?

Please help!

Thanks!

Billy
    Participant

I tried what you wrote, but it doesn’t seem to work. Every time I add a new user as www, nothing happens.

I had that same problem, so I just used ‘user/user’, seeing as I do not think that the security problem is very big.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.