Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Looking for advice on Linux distribtion for a laptop

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Tom
    Participant

Hello everyone,

I’m looking for some advice for picking a Linux distribution for a laptop.

The laptop is an Asus R500DR-SX115V:
    – CPU: AMD A8-4500m 1.9GHz / 2.8GHz turbo
    – GPU: Radeon HD7470M
    – RAM: 8GB DDR3
    – Motherboard chipset: AMD A70M Fusion

So I’m looking for a distribution that would support it driver wise and hardware wise. I’ve installed and played around with Arch and Ubuntu on VMs if that helps.

Let me know if you have any questions and thanks in advance,

Tom

Alen
    Participant

@traverse, I personally use Linux Mint Cinnamon flavor. If you need something simple that uses less resources try Xfce.

There’s also really simple Elementary OS

Atelierbram
    Participant

If you are going Xfce desktop, then there is also Xubuntu which I like a lot, and the newer Manjaro which is build on Arch and getting great reviews. Don’t know much about driver compatibility of Linux distro’s on laptops.

Tom
    Participant

Thanks for the responses! I think I might give ElementaryOS a try, biggest problem I’m seeing really is drivers but I guess I’ll wait and see how it goes.

Tom
    Participant

Hey just a small update! I went ahead and installed ElementaryOS and it’s working pretty well there are some bugs in the UI though which isn’t a huge problem just a bit annoying. Besides those bugs I’m really liking it and I might even try to get Arch running as well.

So thanks for the advice!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.