Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Link with "#" throws to top of page

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Romchick
    Participant

Having this issue often. Sometimes not. Can’t understand why it happens. Here is the code: http://codepen.io/NeedHate/pen/PwVMMb
    If you click on “Click me” it goes to top. How to prevent it?

Paulie_D

You should (almost) never have href=”#”. It is a link to an undefined anchor (which will be the top of the page). People who use it normally do so because they want to dangle JavaScript off it.

If you don’t want a link to actually go somewhere there’s not much point in using a link.

Stack Overflow reference

Romchick
    Participant

Well, I’m using :target to open block:
    href=”#gotoblock”- link opens that target with id=gotoblock. Sometimes it works fine. And I don’t get it why. 8(

Romchick
    Participant

I guess it’s because of html/body “height: 100%;”.

Senff
    Participant

A link should point somewhere, and it should go to another location when you click on it. That’s simply by design.

What you want, is something to happen (not somewhere to go), so perhaps it would make more sense from a semantic point of view to use <button> instead.

Paulie_D
    Romchick
    Participant

Yeah, I understand that. But its some kind of css trick, because of “:target”. The link opens something that was invisible. I managed that already. If you click “Click me” it will open sub menus, like a checkbox. That is the goal. But when you put body/html height to 100% it throws :target to the top.

Senff
    Participant

Well yea, but that’s kinda normal behavior. Links pointing to “#” will try to go to a point where an (empty) ID is defined, unless that behavior is overriden.

Don’t know what to tell you to be honest. If you use tricks that mess with a link’s normal behavior, you can expect abnormal/surprising results.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.