Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Link menu with right border

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    xe2

Hi all, first post here, this is a great community!

I have little annoying problem I can’t get rid of. (I’m extremely new to css)

I have a link menu and each link has a right border of 1px with some padding so the border doesn’t touch the link.
    it is a right border so the link on the right has a border on both sides (because the link to the left of it has a right border). I am trying to get the border from the last link to go away
    so that the ‘dividers’ are only inside the links, not on the outside.

How do I make it so only 1 of those links doesn’t have a border? I got rid of the <li> tag and that did the trick, except my html doesn’t validate like that.

Thank you so much for the help, It will be great to browse around here, I found this site a few days ago and love it.

noahgelman
    Participant

Create a class with no border, and attach it to the last list item.

Code:
    .last { border: none;}
    xe2

This seems so simple, I just can’t get it to work. Here is the html for the list

<div id="toplinks">
    <ul>
    <li><a href="#" >Home</a></li>
    <li><a href="#">Services</a></li>
    <li><a href="#">Links</a></li>
    <li><a href="#">Contact Us</a> </li>
    </ul>
    </div>

How do I attach it? I’ve tried doing it like all the other font styles and it doesn’t work.

I can attach a style to everything else on my layout, just not 1 link, in that list. I’ve managed to do absolutely everything I wanted with css for my layout except this, which is funny because it’s so simple. I’ve googled it, searched forums, etc, and still can’t find how to do it.

edit2:— here is the layout. I haven’t cleaned up the html or css so please don’t laugh too much. Still working on it, will make everything nice and neat once I’m done =)

noahgelman
    Participant

Create a class in your stylesheet like I showed you in my previous post and adjust the Contact Us list-item like the following:

Code:
  • Contact Us
xe2

Thank you again for your reply,

I made the changes and it does not change anything – — check out the source code. here is what i have inside the css file

Code:
.last { border: none;}

what am I missing?

Nothing changes the style of that link. I’ve tried setting up a different background color / font size to that class and it does nothing

noahgelman
Participant

No, you didn’t do anything wrong in particular. Browsers read the style sheet from top to bottom. You put the .first class in your style sheet. So it applies the border:none to the list item. And then it reads your #toplinks li after which then gives it a border. Place the .first class after the #toplinks li in your style sheet and that should sort everything out.

xe2

It still doesn’t apply the class. I tried doing it before and after every toplink class ( ul, li, a, a:hover…) :|

edit2: Ah, I think I know. The styling for those links are all ID’s , and the .last is a class =)

edit3: Nope, changed all the styling to classes and the .last to #last . I also tried putting the #last before and after each of the toplink classes, with no changes.

noahgelman
Participant

Well you probably have to be more specific. You have #toplinks li styles right? Well change your .last to #toplinks li.last in your stylesheet

xe2

I’m sorry for not being more specific, I always try to be but being a complete n00b at this I really didn’t know what else to say. Changing it to li.last worked perfectly, thank you so much, you’ve been awesome help.

Thanks again!

noahgelman
Participant

You did just fine, no worries
:D

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)