Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Let's see your troubleshooting skills

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    I.m.learning
    Participant

I got a good one that you may get, maybe not.

In my page for character sets explanations, I am explaining the different ISO-5589 sets. In my list, as paragraphs, after adding this:

ISO-8859-6 –Arabic Non-accented Arabic.

ISO-8859-7 –Modern Greek Greek.

ISO-8859-8 –Hebrew Non-accented Hebrew.

ISO-8859-9 –Latin 5 Same as 8859-1 except for Turkish instead of Icelandic.

ISO-8859-10 –Latin 6 Latin6, for Lappish/Nordic/Eskimo languages:
    Adds the last Inuit (Greenlandic) and Sami (Lappish) letters that were missing in Latin 4 to cover the entire Nordic area.

it removes all material that is not enclosed in “< >” It will keep the list up to the level -8, anything after removes. I still have code that is untagged, that remains, all other data is removed…why?

For now I am keeping this section out of the page until I finish with the rest of my page; before uploading, I will find out why. In the meantime, I figured I’d test your troubleshooting skills to see if any of you have an idea while I do so.

I just may end up responding to my own inquiry later.

I.m.learning
    Participant

This is strange…now, when I view the page, the material is not there, but when I copy and paste the page result to notepad, the result is apparent.

Now let me see that skill of yours. Too funny. I think it has something to do with using Notepad++ as my editor

I.m.learning
    Participant

using the pre tag only displays the content up until set -2; obviously noscript will remove the entire content.
    Placing it in a div didn’t work either

I.m.learning
    Participant

The only thing I can think of is the amount of data onto a page.

Is there a limit to the amount of data than can be out into a page? Regardless of how I put the code, it is being cut off.

I.m.learning
    Participant

This doesn’t make sense to me. I had created a single line script in Excel, and duplicated it 50,000+ times. The browser had no issue with loading it.

So why are my pages being cut off? And why do we never hear from the administrators of this site?

Paulie_D

What do the administrators have to do with anything?

Chris Coyier owns the site and there are a couple of active moderators, including myself.

We all work, have lives and can’t answer every question, especially if we don’t have any knowledge of your specific issue… Oh, and it’s a holiday weekend.

I have no knowledge of character sets but you have posted several times in this thread alone without one line of code demonstrating the issue.

We’re all volunteers, we’re less restrictive about what questions can be asked and how than some sites (try this question on Stack Overflow and see what reception it gets ) but we’re not mind readers and what few of us there are, are not at your beck and call.

Chill, reproduce the problem in a Codepen demo and be patient.

Help us help you.

I.m.learning
    Participant

“What do the administrators have to do with anything?”

I see many forums that state the responder is an administrator, or moderator. Chris does not display these credentials.

“I have no knowledge of character sets but you have posted several times in this thread alone without one line of code demonstrating the issue.”

Sounds like that is a common response with you. Do I need to post a code to ask what 1+1 is? Some things do not need a code, some issues are a simple question that require prior knowledge of an issue.

By the way, you have tons of knowledge of character sets, unless no one ever taught you about ANSI, ASCII, Unicode, or UTF. That’s okay, neither do millions of others. That’s the goal behind my website; to offer a one-stop “shop” for information. Go ahead and use Wikipedia, a 5 year-old can edit Wikipedia. Who’s to say a child knows as much as a college professor? Wikipedia!

“We all work, have lives and can’t answer every question, especially if we don’t have any knowledge of your specific issue”

So if you don’t have an answer, then don’t respond. Are you insinuating that I do not work or don’t have a life?

Guess this is the difference between you and I. If I do not have an answer for someone, but have a similar issue, I will post responses to give an idea what the asker is looking for (do you need a code to realize that?) You need to learn about netiquette because you have a very bad tone.

“Chris Coyier owns the site and there are a couple of active moderators, including myself.”

Do you know what the role of a moderator is, or even the definition? Maybe you and Chris need to read up on this.

“The primary role of a forum moderator should be to promote interaction. A forum moderator should be posting new threads and adding new content to the site. They should be helping out members with their queries and they should be keeping threads alive by asking questions

I posted several times to give an idea of WHAT MY ISSUE IS NOT in order to define a more definitive answer without out many back-and-forth. This doesn’t need code, it requires someone with critical thinking, which is apparent, you lack. Chill? I am chill bro! Instead of making my post longer, and in the event someone had posted before finding what the issue did not involve, I posted to myself.

If I were to ask you if there was a certain length a webpage could be, do I need to post a code? I can’t, because it is a question that does NOT need a code, it requires someone with prior knowledge, is that the limit of you expertise, code only?

“Help us help you. ”

I did that by posting what my issues was not and all I got back was poor netiquette. It had nothing to do with code anyways, Windows 10 has many bugs and I needed to restart my computer. But thank you for your response, now I can see why you have that profile pic, it represents those that have too complex of questions and you respond with disrespect.

This wasn’t the first time you posted something like this to me, or someone else.

I saw the post you replied to for someone that gave their login credentials to their plug-in owner.

Don’t you have the compassion not to put salt in someone’s wounds? Don’t you think that after someone puts their hand on a glowing-red burner you need to tell them NOT to do that?
    You told the person “Never ever do that!” after they realized the error of their ways.

I may not know a lot about coding, it will be a long time to get to where you are now; but it’s because of the lack of guidance

Shikkediel
    Participant

No, man. I had no clue either what the actual question was. It being a OS bug would have made it quite impossible for anyone to say anything sensible about it anyway. Please next time put as much effort in describing the problem as was done in replying to Paulie. And share a link to it.

:-p

Senff
    Participant

Some things do not need a code, some issues are a simple question that require prior knowledge of an issue.

In my opinion, this particular situation did need code to illustrate what you meant. Without it, I also didn’t understand much of what you were describing or asking.

(On a sidenote, I personally don’t think it’s relevant if a username shows whether or not he/she is an administrator, nor if any response you get is from a moderator or a “regular” user. What counts for me, is if the response contains helpful information or not.)

The only other thing I would suggest, is to refrain from making unpleasant/argumentative personal comments like you did in your last post. That’s the best way to turn the thread into a mess and not get you any help. Was Paulie’s response disrespectful? Maybe somewhat. Was your follow-up disrespectful? Without a doubt. Let’s just not do that.

mS (Moderator)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.