Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums JavaScript Lazy Load v Loading Page

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    CameronDuthie
    Participant

Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on this topic – I’m currently considering placing a little loading gif (kinda like this one) on a website im building as the site is one long page and loading could be a potential problem for some people’s bandwidth.

But then i came across this snippet from Chris and was wondering if there was a similar technique out there that you could load div tag’s instead of img tag’s so as the user scrolls down the page content will load?

Should i stick with my loading gif or go ahead with the ‘lazy load’ or would both techniques be more beneficial?

Many Thanks,

Cameron

Mottie

Hi CameronDuthie!

Maybe a combination would work best. But first, check out Paul Irish’s Infinite Scroll plugin. It loads more content to the page as the user scrolls down. It’s similar to the script used by Forrst which does the same thing, but updates the URL after each load to allow reloading the page and starting from where you left off.

CameronDuthie
    Participant

Hey @Mottie thank you for those, that could be the answer i’m looking for. I’ve had a look into them and I think Forrst’s version sounds more appealing as you can reload the page without the user having to start from scratch.

My concern is what happens when the user reaches the bottom, i presume the code allows you to tinker with it so that it doesn’t display the end message of, “Congrats, you’ve reached the end of the internet.”

My other concern is “analytics will not immediately capture the event, so custom configuration is required” – i’m not entirely sure what would be required from me to do this.

More investigation needed i think.

Thanks again.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘JavaScript’ is closed to new topics and replies.