Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Kompozer (or others) VS Dreamweaver

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    nchipping

Hi,

I am just getting into the web design industry, and I’m trying to figure out what software to use. I have had a trial version of Dreamweaver from CS4 and it has been super easy to use, and very helpful. On the other hand, if I want to buy that (and some of the editing programs I’d need), it will cost a lot of money! I have heard that Kompozer is a good web design tool, and that GIMP is a good Photo editing software.

Does anyone have experience with these, or other freeware software? Let me know – thanks!

Rob MacKay
    Participant

Well I know gimp is highly regarded by its users and quite well respected – although I am a PS user myself.

As for a editor – Im on PC so I use Notepad++ I used to use DW but found notepad++ a lighter option.

AshtonSanders
    Participant

Most of my work is done remotely (and with clients on the phone), so having my code editor automatically upload upload to the server on save is the biggest time saver. That’s really why I keep it. I haven’t heard of a good alternative that does this… ?

Rob MacKay
    Participant

well I work live with my stuff on notepadd++ just hit save and its up on the server. I did like DW direct FTP option, it worked well, but again I just prefer the less bulky option. :)

but yea – notepadd++ is for PC only I think…

AshtonSanders
    Participant
    "Robskiwarrior" wrote:
    well I work live with my stuff on notepadd++ just hit save and its up on the server. I did like DW direct FTP option *snip*

Wait… so Notepad++ does have a direct FTP connection?

Rob MacKay
    Participant
    "AshtonSanders" wrote:
    "Robskiwarrior" wrote:
    well I work live with my stuff on notepadd++ just hit save and its up on the server. I did like DW direct FTP option *snip*

Wait… so Notepad++ does have a direct FTP connection?

Yup :D and its surprisingly really quick :)

AshtonSanders
    Participant
    "Robskiwarrior" wrote:
    Yup :D and its surprisingly really quick :)

Wow… I’ve had Notepad++ forever… and now I love it. I’ll definitely be trying to use notepad++ more. Thanks man.

nchipping

Thank you all for your suggestions. Just so you know, I have been using Dreamweaver, but I don’t know any of the features of it, so I have no reason to stick with it other than the direct FTP connection. I code everything myself (before Dreamweaver, I used a the text editor that came on my computer and just saved my files as .html files). Anyway, I am possibly going to switch to a MAC as well, but mainly I enjoy having the FTP upload available with Dreamweaver, but the cost of it will be a lot to shell out for…

apostrophe
    Participant

If you are going to switch to mac then there is no point shelling out a load of money now. You may as well wait and get Coda http://www.panic.com/coda/ along with your mac.
    In the meantime there are plenty of code editors for windows and a lot of them are free http://net.tutsplus.com/articles/web-roundups/22-neat-code-editors-for-windows/.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.