Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Keeping Macbook Running Quickly?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    nixnerd
    Participant

What’s up @Alen? Where you been dude?

I actually do agree with @Alen that the switch MAY not be right for you. That said, if you’re as concerned with performance as it sounds like you are… maybe it would be right for you. Who knows? Only you can really know that.

People love Macs because they’re essentially a Unix-like system that ‘just works.’ Now, learning the terminal is not that hard. But… it’s definitely going to be harder than what you’re doing now, at least at first.

If I’m being honest, I spend a bunch of time tinkering with my system. It’s just a fact. Now, that’s all good because I enjoy it. I happen to know that SEVERAL people on these forums are also tinkerers and enjoy it as well.

It’s up to you man. Life is a series of tradeoffs and this is one of those times. Definitely get an SSD though. In your situation, I feel that would make the most immediate impact.

Alen
    Participant
    nixnerd
    Participant

@Joe_Temp http://youtu.be/XhwpOW5oo4Y

Ha ha ha. Haven’t seen that in years. Awesome.

MacBook lines are far easier than anything else to swap the HDD’s out.

He might be right. It’s been years since I’ve dealt with Macs. I wouldn’t expect it to be as easy as changing one out on an Xbox 360… but it should be doable.

Alen
    Participant

RAM in not interchangeable on the new Mac Book Pro. At checkout just max it out. I’m looking to get new Retina one and kinda sucks I can’t go with 3rd party.

__
    Participant

RAM in not interchangeable on the new Mac Book Pro. At checkout just max it out.

…which, I’m sure, is the kind of thinking they appreciate.

(No offense: this snark is aimed entirely at Apple.)

nixnerd
    Participant

…which, I’m sure, is the kind of thinking they appreciate.

Dude… it’s such a shame. I mean… their specs are decent enough but their chassis components are the BEST on the market. That’s what makes me so sad. The build quality is second to none. The black iMac was SICK! Too bad it’s such a closed ecosystem.

Another passion of mine is phones. I’ve owned SEVERAL Androids and an iPhone. Build quality on the iPhone blows them all away, hands down. But alas… I would never buy an iPhone again.

__
    Participant

I would never buy an iPhone again.

I’m on the lookout for a secondhand one, for web testing. But beyond that, nope.

nixnerd
    Participant

I’m on the lookout for a secondhand one, for web testing.

I’ll for sure keep mine for testing. As far as a phone… I want that HTC One Unlocked Dev Edition!

Alen
    Participant

…which, I’m sure, is the kind of thinking they appreciate

Good strategy tho.

I really do hate how this has been trending.

They are trying to create a market where you as a consumer think of the ‘laptop’ as one unit, so in a sense it has to be easily disposable, at least in the consumers minds.

nixnerd
    Participant

They are trying to create a market where you as a consumer think of the ‘laptop’ as one unit

I think as a market strategy, it’s GREAT! If I ran Apple, I would do the same thing. The reality is, the market for non-savvy tech consumers who just want a laptop that “works” is MUCH bigger than the market for hobbyists, tinkerers and hackers.

Now… occasionally you have one of the latter three who buys a Mac and wishes they could upgrade the hardware components individually. I agree that sucks and I would be pissed off to. However, the risk of alienating those people was acceptable to Apple because of the margins they could make on everyone else.

On a side note, Apple has done a wonderful job of even fusing together the hardware and software. Since you only see OSX running on Apple devices, it has created an unprecedented level of unity between hardware and software. The experience is SO cohesive that I think that’s what most people pay for. The entire ecosystem feels clean and safe. That I cannot take away from Apple.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.