Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums JavaScript JS Failed After DOM Update?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    StephBertha
    Participant

Hi there,

I’m trying to do some JS for when you turn off Javascript in your browser. I managed to get it working, but there are some AJAX calls that are making things that should be showing up only if JS is turned off, but JS isn’t turned off.

Here’s what I have:

$(‘#javascript-on’).show();
    $(‘.javascript-on’).show();
    $(‘#javascript-off’).hide();
    $(‘.javascript-off’).hide();

I’ve never done anything like this before so I don’t even know what to type in Google, hence, why I’m here :) Help?

Paulie_D

>I’m trying to do some JS for when you turn off Javascript in your browser

Wait…if JS is turned **off** how can you use AJAX/JS?

Am I missing something?

I confess I am a complete JS/AJAX noob!

CrocoDillon
    Participant

I’m guessing you’re using CSS to hide `#javascript-on` and `.javascript-on`, and then you want to use jQuery to show them and hide `#javascript-off` and `.javascript-off` instead? That should work. Make a codepen if it doesn’t, hard to debug with just that information.

And yeah, this really sounds wtf weird:

> I’m trying to do some JS for when you turn off Javascript in your browser.

TheDoc

If you’re using Modernizr, you should be starting your templates with `.no-js` class on your `` element. Then Modernizr will remove that class via JS (or if you aren’t using Modernizr you can simply write a tiny script yourself with jQuery: `$(‘html’).removeClass(‘no-js’)`).

That means that you can change how the page looks via CSS with the `.no-js` hook if required. Example:

.no-js .twitter {
    display: none;
    /* hide the twitter box for users with JS turned off since we won’t be able to make our AJAX call */
    }

StephBertha
    Participant

Sorry, that one sentence doesn’t make sense.

What I’m trying to do is show a certain div when JS is on and a certain div when JS is turned off. It works, but… when a user adds a product to their cart, the DOM refreshes, and the “javascript-off” div is being displayed which I don’t want.

So that’s why I was wondering if there was a different way…

CrocoDillon
    Participant

Go with what TheDoc said and you won’t have this problem anymore :)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘JavaScript’ is closed to new topics and replies.