Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums JavaScript JS Add/Remove Row in Table

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    bmoneruiux
    Participant

Hey guys.

Trying to do a mockup for my company, but I’m not yet anywhere near advanced enough to do what I envision, so hopefully I can get some help.

I understand the basics of JS, however in my specific case I’m unaware of how to code an “add/delete row” for this. All other tutorials and examples don’t address my specific needs.

Here’s the link to the project on CodePen

Basically when someone clicks the plus button, a brand new row should populate at the bottom with the same content as “.pt-entry” BUT with the new row incrementing 1 unit. So the row created under “.pt-entry” will then be called “.pt-entry-1” (since the first would technically be 0), and so forth.

And the reverse should happen with the delete button. When pressed, the row it corresponds to should delete. However if only 1 row remains, it cannot be deleted. Only cleared of data. If the delete button is press on one remaining row, an alert window should show saying something like “Cannot delete last remaining row. Clear data fields instead? Yes/No”.

I would like for this to be in standard JavaScript and not jQuery or any other type of JS library.

cav_dan
    Participant

So, I’m still kind of a noob on JS, but you may want to use jQuery here.

First things first: you really shouldn’t use tables for anything other than tabular data, I would try using divs and whatnot. But, since you may have your own reasons, let’s start.

You’ll need is get the code for that row in a string, and the data you want to change in variables. Something like:

var formIndex = 1;
    var newRow = '<tr><td>Some content<tr><td>'
    newRow += '<td><textarea id="'+formIndex+'"></textarea>';

Then, you can use jQuery’s append $('.emptyDiv').append(newRow) to include that new code, not forgetting to increase that index formIndex+= 1

Willson
    Participant

Check out this pen I made: http://codepen.io/WillsonSmith/pen/cLktj

//Define your elements
      var table = document.getElementById('theTable'),  
    // your parent element you are adding content to
          rows = table.querySelectorAll('tr'),
    //initial rows for counting
          rowCount = rows.length,
    //how many rows exist
          addedRow = document.createElement('tr'),
    //create the new row
          addButton = document.getElementById('add'),
          removeButton = document.getElementById('remove');
    //basic buttons for example

function addRow(){
        var thisRow = addedRow.cloneNode(true);
    //clone your created row
        thisRow.setAttribute('class','.pt-entry-' + rowCount);
    //set the class to be class + the row count (will increment) 
        rowCount += 1;
    //increment

thisRow.innerHTML = '<td>row</td>';
    //adding whatever, not necessary
        table.appendChild(thisRow);
    //puts the row in to your parent

}

function removeRow(){

var items = table.querySelectorAll('tr');
    //get the new list of rows

if (rowCount > 1){
        table.removeChild(items[rowCount - 1]);
        }        
    //remove the last item
        rowCount -= 1;
    //decrement

}

addButton.addEventListener('click', function(e){

addRow();

});

removeButton.addEventListener('click', function(e){

removeRow();

});

Since you’re only adding one element at a time, this is probably the way to do it. I didn’t look it over too much for optimisations because they would most likely be very small ones that really wouldn’t affect your code.

Note that if you were adding multiple items in to the dom at once, you would want to create a document fragment that you applied all of your added nodes to, and then apply the fragment to the page.

see: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/document.createDocumentFragment

edit: added a check to make sure it’s not removing the last row

TheDoc

I would like for this to be in standard JavaScript and not jQuery or any other type of JS library.

You’re not proficient enough in JavaScript to do it yourself and are asking people to do it for you but you refuse to use the help of jQuery? Seems a bit backwards to me.

bmoneruiux
    Participant

You’re not proficient enough in JavaScript to do it yourself and are asking people to do it for you but you refuse to use the help of jQuery? Seems a bit backwards to me.

Ok, I feel stupid. So I’m currently in the middle of learning jQuery (Yes, without having learned raw JavaScript first…I know). I wasn’t sure if the CMS my job created used jQuery, so I figured JavaScript would be a safe bet for now. I don’t know why i didn’t look at the course code, but there it is in the header…calling v1.8.6. So…I guess I could’ve used jQuery all along…

Now…you may commence chastising me for learning jQuery before actual JS :(

bmoneruiux
    Participant

@cav_dan

First things first: you really shouldn’t use tables for anything other than tabular data, I would try using divs and whatnot. But, since you may have your own reasons, let’s start.

Trust me, I know lol. I, for one, hate tables. But the tool that this is based off of is already created, used by our team and our team alone, and I was given strict orders to not alter the structure of the tool just the function of it 0_o (confusing I know).

I wish I could post a snippet of the source without losing my job lol.

TheDoc

Now…you may commence chastising me for learning jQuery before actual JS :(

No chastising! I actually think jQuery is a fantastic learning tool. It’s where I started as well.

bmoneruiux
    Participant

OK…here’s my latest effort!

My New Pen

cav_dan
    Participant

Nice job!

Ok, there’s surely room for improvement. For example: why did you use $('body').on('click', 'myClass' ...) when you could simply use $('.myClass').on('click' ...)?

Also, when hidding part of your form, you could use a better selector for turning those inputs ‘readonly’. Maybe use $('#' +i+ ' input') or some other solution like that (I’m not being specific here, just think you can work something out in the future).

bmoneruiux
    Participant

My syntax MIGHT have been wrong (very sure actually), but when I tried it like that…the function with the alert stopped working. And yeah I was hoping for a better ‘readonly’ solution. However I’ll leave this to more experienced coders when i hand the demo over.

FYI I was LITERALLY learning while I was coding lol

cav_dan
    Participant

Hey man,

I’m not trashing your code, just pointing some stuff out. I’m still learning too, and you seem ahead of me in many ways. Sorry if I sounded a bit rude, it wasn’t my intention.

bmoneruiux
    Participant

… I’m not trashing your code, just pointing some stuff out. I’m still learning too, and you seem ahead of me in many ways. Sorry if I sounded a bit rude, it wasn’t my intention.

Oh no you weren’t rude at all lol.
    I was saying that since I’m the definition of a newb, my syntax was probably dead wrong when I attempted to implement what you suggested. I was confirming what you were saying. So, sorry if “I” came off as confusing.

:D

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘JavaScript’ is closed to new topics and replies.