Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Is it better to manually add the contents of google fonts stylesheets?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Alex Zaworski
    Participant

I ran into this earlier today— is it more performant to add the contents of a stylesheet from google fonts (eg this one) and save your self the request or to include it as a link? I’d assume the former but I don’t usually see that done.

All of this assuming, of course, you’re not loading them async

Shikkediel
    Participant

I guess it mostly depends on how fast your own server is…

Alex Zaworski
    Participant

Why would that change anything? It’s still loading the fonts from google’s servers, but as far as I can tell this dodges a request for the css file (assuming you add it to the rest of your styles).

edit: I suppose if your server were slow enough that it took more time to serve the ~4k than it took to request + download from google then that would make sense.

Also I guess if the URL for the font sources ever changed you’d be preeeeetty screwed.

Shikkediel
    Participant

I suppose a single request plays less of a role than response time and other optimisation (compression for example). A caching advantage is likier to be the case if you use a CDN for a JS library, not so much with fonts I think. So my own preference would be to serve them from the site itself.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.