Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Is anybody having issues with CodePen?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    NReed253
    Participant

Well I worked on this site over the weekend and had pretty much everything figured out and laid out just the way I wanted. I went to work on it today and all the sizes and spacing of EVERYTHING was messed up and definitely not how I saved it. For example, The menu is no longer centered or the same color and all the font sizes are WAY larger than before. Is anybody else encountering this issue?

Here is a link to my site how it currently sits:

http://codepen.io/Nreed253/pen/FmzsA

Thanks for the help!!

nixnerd
    Participant

I gotta ask this: Do you use Codepen as your primary dev platform?

__
    Participant

Here is a link to my site how it currently sits

Doesn’t help much, not knowing how it is supposed to look. To answer your question, no, I have never had problems like you describe on codepen. Are you sure you saved your work?

I’ve got to second NIX’s concern. Do you save your work anywhere else? Codepen is hardly intended to be a development platform. Even if it was… backups, man! Version control!

NReed253
    Participant

Yes I do use it as my primary platform.. is that bad? Im still learning what Im doing. Well I save it every few minutes so It should revert even if I didnt save it the last time.. For example, the menu is supposed to be MUCH skinnier, centered, and a teal color and it is supposed to be fixed at the top of the screen when scrolling… Any ideas?

NReed253
    Participant

I FEEL LIKE THE MAN RIGHT NOW! Somehow I accidentally deleted a closing quotation on one of my links and it screwed up EVERYTHING

__
    Participant

Yes I do use it as my primary platform.. is that bad? Im still learning what Im doing. Well I save it every few minutes so It should revert even if I didnt save it the last time

Using it as a design tool, for experimenting, working out how you want something to look or function …sure, good.

Using it as version control, or even just for storage …way bad. It’s not a tool for saving your work; it’s certainly not version control.

• Save your work (at least) locally.
    • Version control (e.g., git) is highly recommended, even for simple, one-person projects. Even if you never need to revert (or even learn how to), it becomes possible, and that could single-handedly save the day.

I FEEL LIKE THE MAN RIGHT NOW! Somehow I accidentally deleted a closing quotation on one of my links and it screwed up EVERYTHING

Glad you solved it.

Another good reason to work locally: any good code editor will help you find simple syntax errors like that. There are many out there to choose from. Stay away from “website creation” software (e.g., dreamweaver, frontpage, etc.). I use komodo, which is open-source, cross-platform (linux/ mac/ win), and the “Edit” version is free.

NReed253
    Participant

Sounds good. I just saved everything locally on my computer. Thanks for the tip!

nixnerd
    Participant

Sounds good. I just saved everything locally on my computer.

Do you have a text editor that you use locally? Do you understand how to build/edit webpages locally on your machine?

nixnerd
    Participant

@NReed253 I only ask because codepen is really NOT an ideal work environment. It’s great for quick test or demos but it’s not meant to be a full-fledged dev suite.

NReed253
    Participant

I do have a text editor… Im not really sure what you mean. I know how to edit code using the text editor if that is what you are asking?

nixnerd
    Participant

I guess what I’m really asking is: Why do you actually work on Codepen as opposed to locally on your machine? That’s what I’m getting at. What does Codepen offer you that your desktop can’t?

nixnerd
    Participant

BTW: What text editor do you use and what is your OS?

NReed253
    Participant

Well CodePen lets me see my editing live, so when I make a change in my code I can see exactly what I did right there. I just use the stock TextEdit on OS X Mavericks.

nixnerd
    Participant

Well CodePen lets me see my editing live, so when I make a change in my code I can see exactly what I did right there.

You can get this feature with any real text editor. It’s called ‘live reload’. Also, I would definitely recommend a full-fledged text editor. TextMate seems to be popular among the Mac crowd. Sublime Text 2 is popular with everybody. Vim is popular with Linux people. All of them support ‘live reload’ AFAIK.

Do you use any sort of local virtual server? For testing? Or are you just coding static HTML + CSS?

nixnerd
    Participant

You can get this feature with any real text editor.

I don’t think even @chriscoyier himself would take offense to this.

We’re just trying to help you out!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.