Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Back End iPhone site to Desktop site

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    mumptastic
    Participant

Ok, I have a redirect on my site to send iPhone and Android users to a mobile site. Now, how do I get from the iPhone site to the Desktop version and avoid the redirect?

TT_Mark

Use css media queries to serve them the same content as a desktop but in a more mobile friendly way?

http://mediaqueri.es

Hey mumptastic – I had this same problem a while ago. I posted my problem – and never really got a great answer. I was using htaccess to redirect mobile devices at the time. I know that many big corporations use server side technology to serve up totally different versions of their site (mostly for performance), but for small projects css media queries and javascript may be your answer. I’ll explain…

At first I figured I could just use media queries to style content for the mobile device, and then use a javascript stylesheet switcher to style as if the site were a desktop one. This didn’t really work that well though. I’ve been using a css/javascript technique recently that is very close to what this guy has talked about;

http://omaritech.blogspot.com/2011/02/code-using-javascript-and-css-to-switch.html

Let me know if this helps!

not really a great solution TTMark, but beautiful site. Thanks for sharing!

TT_Mark

It was mainly to show that you don’t need to redirect users to a ‘mobile’ site when it’s perfectly possible to use CSS Media Queries to achieve a mobile stylesheet.

Responsive web design is the current buzzword/phrase in the industry

DogsGhost

what’s wrong with media queries? Its a lightweight solution and tailors the content layout to the user’s preferred device.

mumptastic
    Participant

I understand using media queries is the way to go, but my client already has a mobile site built… this is why I was asking for help.

DogsGhost

How are you doing the redirect from desktop site to mobile?

mumptastic
    Participant

if(strstr($_SERVER,'iPhone') || strstr($_SERVER,'iPod'))
    {
    header('Location: http://yoursite.com/iphone');
    exit();
    }
    ?>

Guys, don’t get me wrong – I’m absolutely in love with media queries, but – how do you plan on giving users a way to navigate back to the desktop version if they want to? Also, performance is a concern with the current specs of mobile devices. With media queries, they kick in after DOM load, and there isn’t an easy way to stop them from loading full img and object assets (whether or not you’re displaying them via your stylesheet). These two things aren’t really accomplish-able with media queries alone. So, no, media queries aren’t a silver bullet – but they’re mighty fine indeed.

mikelegacy

Most sites I go to on my mobile phone, If I just add /index.html, or whatever the index page is named, to the end of the URL, it directs me to the desktop site. For example, try loading penguins.nhl.com onto your mobile device, then type that and /index.html on the end, it will direct you to the NON mobile site. Just adding a link a the bottom of your page that says “Non Mobile Version” and directing them to that new link should fix the problem.

If I’m just being a newb, yell at me.

mumptastic
    Participant

Fixed it, nothing a simple session couldn’t fix.

Borinteen

@mumptastic Can you post your solution to the iPhone site to Desktop site? I’m having the same issue…

mumptastic
    Participant
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • The forum ‘Back End’ is closed to new topics and replies.