Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Installing Dropbox on Centos 6

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 93 total)
  • Author
    chrisburton
    Participant

Ah, correct. And sorry about the poor quality video. Not sure what happened or if it still has to convert for HD.

Alen
    Participant

No worries. Kirby looks interesting. Didn’t have time to play yet.

TheDoc

But you’re using Kirby so I’m not sure how file system based CMS and Git integrate.

I’m still trying to figure this out myself. I think Kirby is great but I haven’t figured out a proper workflow yet.

chrisburton
    Participant

Gray, same here. The site you see in the video, I’m scrapping. The actual article page doesn’t play nicely with my setup of Kirby (particularly markdown). So I’m going to redesign it. Still looking forward to what you do with it, though.

By the way, here’s a better version of the video.

http://cloud.chrisburton.me/3r41123p2623/screencast1.mp4

__
    Participant

you’re using Kirby so I’m not sure how file system based CMS and Git integrate.

Actually, Kirby is a better candidate for a pure-git workflow than most CMS’s, because it’s all files. Just author your new files, git add, git commit, git push to your server.

git is very portable, as well. If you have a working copy of your website, the .git folder is there too. If you don’t have a copy, just git clone and now you do. You could even have a “testing” branch alongside your “production” branch on the server.

chrisburton
    Participant

Guys, I need help. I have described the problem on Stack Overflow:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/19943759/relink-another-dropbox-account-on-server

If anyone would mind lending a hand, I’d greatly appreciate it.

Josh
    Participant

This should get you there: Relevant Dropbox Wiki page.

I’ll edit this post with a proper straight write-up once I’ve tested it on my Vagrant instance.

Edit: Yup, running this did it for me, just like it says there:

$ dropbox stop 
    $ mv ~/.dropbox ~/.dropbox.old
    $ ~/.dropbox-dist/dropboxd

This tested on a quick virgin spin-up of CentOS 6.3 64bit, using Dropbox installed via the method shown on the linked page.

chrisburton
    Participant

I just saw this and that’s the tutorial I used to get it on my server initially. Thanks!

Solved by:

NOTE: If you want to change the account it is linked to, unlink it from the first account, then kill the running dropbox process, start it up again (with “~/.dropbox-dist/dropboxd &”) and obtain the new host_id with dbreadconfig.py . If you don’t restart the dropbox client, it will give the same host_id (which for some reason cause me to be unable to change the account it is linked to).

ernestogomez
    Participant

Hi Chris! Im trying to do the exact same thing (i have my site built on kirby, its now live but i want to work with it in dropbox. server with centos 6 dv media temple).

i have no developer background so its breaking my head trying to solve this. i see you went through this trouble a year ago. do you still remember how to do it?

nixnerd
    Participant

I gotta throw in my two cents as well. @Chrisburton, I remember you saying months ago that you don’t use git. Dude… please trust everyone here and give it a shot. Git is the coolest and most useful thing since toilet paper. Version control is something that quite frankly, I have no idea how I went 5 years without using. I would absolutely never, ever, ever go back to just hitting save ever again.

Please try git. We care enough about you to save you from this dropbox madness :)

nixnerd
    Participant

Hey @Chrisburton and @TheDoc, I know you guys both use Kirby. My question would be: Why? I know most people use Kirby with no database and that’s great. It seems like it’s just a collection of files. But, if that’s the solution you want, why not just have a collection of files locally and git push them wherever you want? I don’t know anything about Kirby but from what I do know, why would you want to pay per site when you could just do the same thing the free way?

*Disclaimer: I readily admit that I don’t use or know much about Kirby. So, if I’m misunderstanding some amazing feature, please don’t get mad.

nixnerd
    Participant

It’s got a lot of PHP helpers built in

Fair enough. Just from reading the Kirby site… I don’t think one walks away with a comprehensive understanding of what it even does. Still a little confused but I’ll take your word for it.

chrisburton
    Participant

@ernestogomez Hey! I don’t think I can help you here because I was in the same boat you are in now. I had very little experience with using the command line. Ultimately, I paid someone to install it for me and to make sure it always stays running even after rebooting my server. If you’re interested I can send you the contact information of the developer that I hired. Let me know.

chrisburton
    Participant

@joe_temp

Please try git. We care enough about you to save you from this dropbox madness :)

It seems like an extra step for me and I like having my website in dropbox because it serves two purposes (FTP-like-system and also an automatic backup system). Right now I’m in school (it just ended) so I don’t have that much time to program as I used to. It’s more of a hobby, I guess. I understand that git has version control and all that but for what I’m doing, I probably wouldn’t find it that useful. Prove me wrong?

I know you guys both use Kirby. My question would be: Why? I know most people use Kirby with no database and that’s great. It seems like it’s just a collection of files. But, if that’s the solution you want, why not just have a collection of files locally and git push them wherever you want? I don’t know anything about Kirby but from what I do know, why would you want to pay per site when you could just do the same thing the free way?

I initially started using Kirby because I was really annoyed with WordPress. I’ve mentioned it before, WordPress is overkill for many small websites. The process of developing with it is so much more difficult and time consuming. The amount of time I spent removing menu classes and setting up custom post types/custom fields was ridiculous. As Gray (@TheDoc) mentioned, Kirby has many helper classes and setting up custom fields is so simple, it’s laughable compared to WP. Kirby also comes with a Panel that you could compare to WordPress’s admin section. Overall, Kirby is easier to tailor to your needs. The only dislike I have about it is that there isn’t a comment plugin. We have to resort to Disqus (ting). That’s why I’m building my own and it’s taught me a lot about databases and PHP.

As far as the monetary question, I prefer supporting people that make a great product in which I use. The amount of time spent customizing WP adds up overtime. Time that could have made you more money using Kirby :).

chrisburton
    Participant

@joe_temp

Fair enough. Just from reading the Kirby site… I don’t think one walks away with a comprehensive understanding of what it even does. Still a little confused but I’ll take your word for it.

What do you mean? It says it right on the homepage. It is a file-based CMS. No database. Your content can be created with using Markdown shown in my video above. I encourage you to read through some of the stuff on the homepage or even download it and give it a try.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 93 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.