Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Image with :after issue

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Nigel

I have a background image using :after but it wont appear unless I use content to add text. Is there another way?

jamygolden

The ‘content’ property is required.

Do this:

div:after{content: '';}
    shazdeh

I don’t remember why, but I read somewhere that content: "020"; is better. Does anyone has any info on this?

Chris Coyier
    Keymaster

Empty value is fine.

Nigel

Sadly your suggest are not working. I also noticed something else while working on it. The image gets cut off even though it has plenty of room. All my code over the weekend was going so smoothly too :/

Does it have a defined height and width? Please post some code so that we can further assist you.

Nigel
    #nav li:after{
    background : url(../images/bon-end.png) no-repeat;
    content : "";
    }

The li tag already has a defined height and width. I tried setting a height/width in the after but it did nothing.

jamygolden

Do this:

#nav li:after{
    content : url(../images/bon-end.png);
    }

If you want to specifically use the background property, you will have to set a width and height to the pseudo element the same way you’d have to set it on a normal element.

Nigel

This works(thanks!) but it adds two. I used chrome to inspect the element and it adds an extra LI tag after the first one so now it will draw two images instead of one. The only fallback I know is to hard code a navigation with images but that’s not very good :/

OniLinkCR

You need to declare the LI as relative and then use the after as absolute and use positioning to place it.

#nav li {position:relative;}

#nav li:after {position:absolute; content:''; top:yourvalies; left:yourvalues; background:"url" height:"valeue"; width:"value";

jamygolden

You don’t necessarily need to need to declare it as absolute. If it’s adding a new li in firebug, I’d bet it’s got to do with your markup. Try validating the page.

Also, is there a reason you are avoiding background images?

Manoj Sharma
    Participant

I have just applied this CSS and its done

#nav li:after{ content: ”;
    height: 30px;
    width: 30px;
    background: url(../images/thumb-pin.png) no-repeat;
    position: absolute;
    margin-left: -10px;
    background-size: 21px;
    margin-top: 6px;
    }

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.