Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Image Gallery in Grid

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    JoniGiuro
    Participant

Hi, I’m about to start programming my nth thousand image gallery page in html/css.

It’s build like the most common gallery ever: a lot of pictures, one next to each other (4 on each row). They’re all the same width and height.

What I usually do, is give each image a width and a height and a margin-right, then, every “n” pictures I add a class “new-row” and remove the margin-right. That way, each row will be perfectly aligned with the container (left and right).

I wanted to know if there is a way to not use an additional class or css rule (so no nth.child) and achieve the same result.

Thanks

Jonas

Paulie_D

Because of this

>They’re all the same width and height.

This feels wrong.

>I give each image a width and a height

If we could see a Codepen of the way you are doing it now we could offer alternatives.

jurotek
    Participant

Don’t put padding on container and use margin left and bottom. That way no nth.child or .last needed.

JoniGiuro
    Participant

With that I mean I just add to the class .single-thumb a width and a height

JoniGiuro
    Participant

@jurotek the problem is that the first image and the last touch the border of the container

jurotek
    Participant

Why does it have to align with edges of container?

JoniGiuro
    Participant

because the graphic designer said so

Kitty Giraudel
    Participant

Could you please make a demo we can tweak? :)

Paulie_D
    JoniGiuro
    Participant

I have no demo, it’s just something I did a lot of times and now I thought “what the heck?”.

@ Paulie_D this seems to work but you have a little bit of padding on the left of the first image and on the right of the fourth. I want them to touch the border

Kitty Giraudel
    Participant

Change `padding: .5%` to `padding: .5% 0`.

Paulie_D

>this seems to work but you have a little bit of padding on the left of the first image and on the right of the fourth. I want them to touch the border

Picky aren’t you?

if you need to differentiate between one image and another then the old `’:nth-` is going to come into play I suspect.

Kitty Giraudel
    Participant
    Paulie_D

@HugoGiraudel

It’s OK **:)** but I dislike hard (px) numbers.

JoniGiuro
    Participant

Yeah I know I’m picky. It’s just that this is something that we always have to deal with in our job, so I want to be sure I’m doing it in the best way:
    Don’t want to use nth-child because it’s not supported in ie8.

@Hugo
    http://jsfiddle.net/jonigiuro/rUkqZ/3/ you’re having a default spacing between images because of the inline-block thing. I want to be able to decide the width of the gutter.

I guess the good old .no-margin thing would still be the best thing

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.