Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS HTML5 Tags

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    zackw

Mama always said theres no stupid questions… but I think I’m pushing the limit here.

Are HTML5 Tags like

supported in all browsers right down to ie7 (ill exclude 6) if we use a HTML5 Doctype.. is there any reason why I shouldn’t be using these tags?

Gracias

TheDoc

No, not all browsers – you’ll need to use the HTML5 Shiv to get some older versions of IE on board: http://code.google.com/p/html5shiv/

As a side note, I’m still not sold on the new HTML5 elements. I use the doctype, certainly, because there is more to HTML5 than some new elements. I don’t feel like this:

…is any more semantic than this:

zackw

Thanks doc, i guess i will just continue to use my divs then lol

TheDoc

By no means let me stop you. There are probably many people here that would disagree with me ( @chriscoyier included!)

zackw

Well if its not going to work in ie7 then i can’t use them, clients wouldn’t like that

TheDoc

That’s what the shiv is for, linked in my first post.

zackw

sounds like a hack that ill stay away from lol :)

wolfcry911
    Participant

The elements will be handled by IE, but can’t be styled without the shiv TheDoc mentions. I think the nav element was meant to be more used like this:

but of course using the list provides more hooks for styling and scripting.

jamygolden

@wolfcry911 I don’t think that’s how it was meant to be styled. I think it was intended to wrap existing navigations in (Menus, pagination, etc). So basically adding to the markup to make it more semantic, like @TheDoc ‘s first example. At least that’s how I understand it.

wolfcry911
    Participant

I’ll agree with you and retract my statement. Some will argue however, that navigational links were never meant to be in an unordered list (semantically speaking). This is (or was) especially true for screen readers. Its been common practice for so long now that its not even a consideration.

OniLinkCR

@TheDoc it may be not semantic to you as a human, but to bots and spiders, oh it is. You are basically laying out how your content is structured on your page and giving priority to parts of the content you need to. Using a UL with an id or class doesn’t really say anything.

Also, I like to use them because it’s much easier to look up elements on my style sheet as opposed to using classes and ID’s.

Evert

While discussing semantics, people often forget what semantics actually means in the real world.
    Currently there are two main applications for semantics:
    1) Assistive technology (screenreaders, braille, etc.)
    2) Search Engines

Esp. the second should be of interest to developers/designers because as search engines (like Google) get “smarter” they will become more and more strict to your semantic use of HTML elements like section, footer and aside as opposed to things like div and span.
    I will bet in the near future anything in a section or article will be weighed in more important by Google than anything inside a footer or div.
    So if you need a reason for using these tags, let SEO be one of them (same applies to nav).

I have to say that scanning through someone else’s code is much easier if they are using HTML5 elements.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.