Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS How to override css styles under a single class

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    ash_alwazz
    Participant

I have a the following code, for which I do not have the access to change, however I can always override:

• When

• Saturday, November 12, 2011
      7:30 PM - 9:00 PM
      Eastern Time

I want to add different colors to <li><h3>When</h3></li> and <li><p>Saturday, November 12, 2011<br/> 7:30 PM – 9:00 PM<br/>Eastern Time</p>

I have used the following method to override: .details { color: #0066CC;}
    But both of them are changing to the same color. Does anyone know how I can override to apply different colors to the different li tags.

chrisburton
    Participant

@ash_alwazz – You could give each a class.

HTML

• Saturday, November 12, 2011

• 7:30 PM - 9:00 PM

• Eastern Time
  • CSS

.date {color: blue;}
    .time {color: black;}
    .time-zone {color: red;}
    rjc

Depending on what browser levels you want to support:

ul.details li:first-child { color:red; }
    ul.details li:last-child { color:blue; }

or more widely:

ul.details li h3 { color: red; }
    ul.details li p { color: blue: }

The html you have really needs more structure, the “When” really should be some kind of label to the time and date rather than a list item in itself.

chrisburton
    Participant

@rjc – I disagree. It seems like this person is creating an invitational theme. This means “when” should be a heading. However, “when” should not be wrapped inside a list item.

@ash_alwazz
    – maybe you can show us an image so we can better help you with the semantics of your code.

When

CSS

.when h3 {color: red;}
    .date {color: orange;}
    .time {color: blue;}
    .time-zone {color: purple;}
    Johnnyb

@ChristopherBurton, although your HTML is more appropriate for what they’re trying to do, they noted in their post that they weren’t able to change any of the HTML unfortunately.

As that’s the case then using :first-child is probably the best way. Or if you want really deep browser support you could throw in some jquery: $(“.details ul li:nth-child(1)”).css(‘color’, ‘orange’);

chrisburton
    Participant

My mistake. I misread that as they didn’t know how to change.

Use the following (replace colors as required):

.details h3 {
    color: #06c;
    }
    .details p {
    color: #333;
    }

There is no need to use pseudo-classes (like first-child) or JavaScript for this simple problem.

chrisburton
    Participant

Does anyone know how I can override to apply different colors to the different li tags.

@joshuanhibbert
    your option only allows to change the h3 and the list items as a whole.

@rjc
    has the best solution using pseudo selectors.

@ChristopherBurton Based on the OP’s knowledge level I believe that they actually phrased that question incorrectly. In this case changing the color of the heading/paragraph is identical to changing the color of li:first-child/last-child but has better browser support. There is a good chance I am wrong though.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.