Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS How much do you accommodate IE8 and below?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    fooman
    Participant

How much effort do you guys use nowadays to deal with the awesomeness of people using browsers that are beyond old?

Two years ago, I felt alright using alternate stylesheets but nowadays I feel like it’s unnecessary for the most part. Even if something looks a bit ugly in IE8, it still works.

However, sometimes it’s needed as things in CSS3 won’t display properly and actually isn’t clear as to what the element is when using transitions or something like opacity on pseudo-elements.

So, what is the gameplan lately for anyone who cares to share?

TheDoc

As long as the site is functional in IE8, we’re good with that. We don’t open up anything in less than that. Now that some of the ‘big guys’ have dropped support for IE8 we’re slowly killing it off, too.

__
    Participant

Same — there’s probably a long list of extras that don’t work in IE8, but as long as it’s not obviously broken it’s fine. I’m not looking to ignore it anytime soon, though; it still has around an 8% usage (that’s close to double the share of all versions of iOS combined).

fooman
    Participant

is that true??? Seems so hard to believe!

On this topic of usage-stats, where do you guys go to get yours?

Alen
    Participant

IMO, it is time to stop worrying about browsers. Instead, feature test and respond accordingly.

chrisburton
    Participant

I would only focus on those browser versions if your statistics show that you need to support it. My site shows about 16% use IE8. I wasn’t planning on focusing on those users but maybe I could gradually optimize it over time. But by then it would be pointless.

Alen
    Participant

Great talk here: http://youtu.be/gAxTilYa5bo

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.