Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other How do retina displays work with media queries?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    nixnerd
    Participant

So, I read this article the other day:

http://www.quirksmode.org/blog/archives/2010/04/a_pixel_is_not.html

It’s titled: A pixel is not a pixel.

Here’s what I’m wondering… if retina displays have a WAY higher pixel density and can fit more pixels onto a smaller screen, do media queries still work?

He mentions “CSS pixels” and basically says they are seperate from actual screen pixels.

So, theoretically, media queries should still work to make a site responsive for say an iPhone 5. Right?

Paulie_D

Basically…yes.

Senff
    Participant

In essence, an iPhone 5 screen will be treated as 320 x 576. However, the ACTUAL amount of pixels is 640 x 1152.

So a line that is styled as being 160 pixels wide will be taking up half of the width of the screen, but it will be drawn using 320 actual pixels.

Anything you do in the CSS, will be treated as if the screen is 320 x 576, and not the actual 640 x 1152.

sklokgieters
    Participant

Is the ratio always 1:2 then?

nixnerd
    Participant

Since I’ve posted this… I’ve done a LOT more reading on this issue. The ratio isn’t ALWAYS 1:2. Chris Coyier has an excellent tutorial on this exact problem.

sklokgieters
    Participant

Hmm alright, do you maybe have the article for me then? You now have piqued my interest!

nixnerd
    Participant
    sklokgieters
    Participant

Thanks for the link but I don’t see any explanations about high resolutions that are being treated different with media querys. This is only about targetting them.

Thanks anyway!

Alen
    Participant

Might be helpful http://dpi.lv/

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.