Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS How do I tackle this?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    flipandtwist

I am a beginning web designer attempting to tackle coding one of my sites. Here is a link to a mockup of the home page of the site: Mockup

My question is, I don’t want to start off on the wrong foot; how would I approach marking up/ styling this website? I don’t want someone to do it for me, I’m looking for an overview of how a professional would organize the divs on the page in the markup and then how they would go about styling it… any quick tips would be helpful!

jamygolden

It’s pretty simple, as far as HTML goes I would do something like this:

Paulie_D

I wouldn’t be using the a section tag there…I’d be using a div but I wouldn’t be a complete semantic-nazi about it.

http://html5doctor.com/the-section-element/

Yeah agreed @Paulie_D, otherwise there would be a content element.

jamygolden

I’m guessing the content will go in there for the other pages and those pages would probably start with a heading ( h1 ). But yes, in the case of the home page it should be a div, however assuming includes are used, if the home page was the only page where a section element wouldn’t be semantic, I’d still use it.

@jamy_za I still respectfully disagree. For instance, if you have an about page, that contains a brief summary, contact details, and a site colophon, I would mark it up like so:

<div id="content">
    <section>
    <h1>About</h1>
    </section>
    <section>
    <h1>Contact</h1>
    </section>
    <section>
    <h1>Colophon</h1>
    </section>
    </div>

I personally find it very rare that my content element would simply contain a heading and a few paragraphs.

jamygolden

I think you may have misunderstood me – I would mark that up exactly like you have.

I’m saying, for templating reasons, if every page had a section and a title but one page doesn’t for some or other reason ( like the OPs example. I think it’s only his home page that won’t have a title ), I’m not going to create a new template just for that.

@jamy_za I 100% misunderstood you. My apologies. Your above clarification makes perfect sense.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.