Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Design How are you coping with OS 'High DPI' settings that affect display scaling

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    ronnygonsalves
    Participant

This is something that’s been nagging at me for years but I’ve never actually thought to ask about it here.

What I’m talking about is how lots (probably most) of the machines I test my websites on, websites display about 15-30% larger than on my home/work machines. And I don’t mean browser-zoom level. I mean the OS-level display scaling that’s typically enabled by default for accessibility reasons (which you can enable/disable on a per-program basis, usually by right-clicking the program’s launch icon and going into properties/high-DPI display settings).

My solution has been to target these machines as the sort of baseline when it comes to aesthetics/text hierarchy (and even still, it’s never an issue that affects layout), which is sort of obvious, but I’m curious how other devs deal with this. Do you just relent and develop in browsers with high-DPI scaling enabled (assuming that’s what most users will have enabled)?

fn_lock
    Participant

highDPI mobile screen is my default target, I test in Firefox using RDM and DPR and on real hardware for both low and high DPI. I prepare srcsets for all images (nightmare).

ronnygonsalves
    Participant

highDPI mobile screen is my default target, I test in Firefox using RDM and DPR and on real hardware for both low and high DPI. I prepare srcsets for all images (nightmare).

thankyou so much!!

downloader.vip/rufus/ downloader.vip/mapquest downloader.vip/uptodate/

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Design’ is closed to new topics and replies.