Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums JavaScript Hide and show a div using css only

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Tomz

I came across this page: http://photoshopworld.com/schedule/ in which when the title of a class (in bold) is clicked, the description in a div shows up. If clicked again, the description becomes hidden. With javascript, this is easy to do. But I did not see any javascript function is called when viewing the page source. The hide/show functionality seems to be accomplished using css only. Does any one know how this is done?

chrisburton
    Participant

What about the radial button thing Chris did for switching tabs?

Tomz

Wolfcry & Paulie,

You are correct that there is a plenty of javascript on this page. When javascript is turned off, clicking on a title does not bring up the description anymore. It seems that javascript makes this feature available. However, if you look at html source as the example below

Pre-Conference Workshop Registration Open

Optional Pre-Conference Workshops
    Must be a registered Photoshop World attendee to participate. Separate registry and fee required.

there is no javascript onclick event linked to the title “Pre-Conference Workshop Registration”. That was why I initially thought the css made the click feature available in order to show the description. Do you know how this is done?

Thanks,
    Tom

thomas

You could do something similar using :focus

http://jsfiddle.net/ce6Fe/

It won’t hide until you click away, but it works without JavaScript. Of course, block-level elements aren’t valid within an anchor element, unless you’re using HTML 5.

Tomz

Thanks everyone! It is great to learn something new.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘JavaScript’ is closed to new topics and replies.