Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Design Help! I suck at design!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    David Ingram
    Participant

So this may be a complete shot in the dark but since I learned most everything I know (which is admittedly limited) about css and website styling from this site I thought I would give it a try. I am redesigning the website for the public library where I work. I am a sysadmin/programmer by trade. I have had no problems getting my site to function as I want it to. The form side of things is a different animal all together. And as much as I will wish for a budget for a designer it is just not going to happen on a public library budget.

I have created a design for the header and footer sections of my site I am ok with, but I am having trouble coming up with a way to subdivide the different “modules” of content in the main content area of my home page. Here is what I have so far….

Website Screenshot

I am just drawing a blank here. I’m not looking for anyone to design my site for me or anything. I just need some inspiration or maybe suggestions for books/instructional materials. Sites that I can use for inspiration?

If anyone replies I would be forever grateful. All I can offer in return are some free Summer Reading bookmarks that I will mail to you. (kidding, but I really will if you want some.)

Paulie_D

Perhaps looking at some existing ‘themes’ might help: http://themeforest.net/category/site-templates/nonprofit

David Ingram
    Participant

Thank you for everyone’s thoughtful replies. I really do need to take the time to figure out why I like the sites that I like. And I believe typography and spacing is a big part of what typically makes me really like a site’s design. The other elements are important as well, I know. But I think I am going to try to dig into typography for a while to see if I can learn a few things. I don’t know if it is a skill that can be learned or not but I’ll give it a whirl. In the meantime here are the changes I made in layout today. Still not what I would call good but I think better than before…

New Design Progress

VladimirKrstic
    Participant

It’s hard to help you when you are complete newb in design. You have a long road to go and I hope you will go that road, it’s interesting trip. :) Based on design you have look at various microsoft’s sites, here is one example. msdn

Cheers!

PaulIsLoud
    Participant

Hey David,

Typography, spacing etc. are definitely things that can be learned. Some great resources to help you get your hands on some good design theory with an emphasis on application are:

Treehouse – become a web designer: http://teamtreehouse.com/learning-adventures/become-a-web-designer
    Codeschool – fundamentals of design: http://design.codeschool.com/levels/1

Been through both courses myself and they are outstanding ways to learn. Both are ~$25 / mo. Don’t sweat the fees, the ROI on both courses is like a billion %.

Happy trails.

-Paul

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Design’ is closed to new topics and replies.