Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Got me a brand new *FAST* VPS

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    nixnerd
    Participant

Oh, and obviously I have a user for general maintenance type things. Which is implied here:

I’ve restricted root login and ONLY connect via SSH keys

Although, I do have one question, I put my public SSH key in my user’s home directory. It’s in a hidden file called .ssh, which is normally located in the / directory. I specifically created this file because I didn’t want any access to root anything. Now… I don’t know if it matters for the purposes of verifying SSH keys. Is that weird or bad?

nixnerd
    Participant

Now that I think of it… the worst thing that could happen is that someone could delete my public key with it in that location. But… they could add their own. So, maybe .ssh should be owned by root?

Ugh… I don’t know.

nixnerd
    Participant

Nope. I had it right. Sorry for the confusion.

__
    Participant

I meant to say that it’s chrooted. … I’ve restricted root login and ONLY connect via SSH keys and took the time to verify the ECDSA key fingerprint before accepting the connect

Ah. I thought it was an odd mistake for you to make

Ugh… I don’t know.

Yeah, that’s how I feel about ssh keys most of the time.

nixnerd
    Participant

After all that, I don’t really think I’m going to bother with setting nginx up in a chrooted environment. First of all, I think the benefit on a virtual server would be nil. Plus, it will cause an added layer of complexity when I update Nginx. And… Arch has issues with packages breaking as it is.

Plus, everything is contained in /srv/http… where it should be. And with mostly static stuff… it should be fine.

__
    Participant

fair enough… just remember to take snapshots. : )

nixnerd
    Participant

Oh I will. I might even set up some cron awesomeness to automate the whole process. Acutally, there’s probably something even better than that. I’ll look into it.

nixnerd
    Participant

By the way, my goal is to keep a Google page speed rating of 100/100 on my homepage and hopefully every page! I’ll let you know how I fare. I’m really into CSS graphics lately… so we’ll see if that helps. I can’t imagine that a really clean and minified CSS graphic would be that big. I’ve got some pretty complex stuff in development right now that is like 5kb.

chrisburton
    Participant

Really like the URL rewrite structure. Wish htaccess was like that.

nixnerd
    Participant

@chrisburton One really cool thing about Nginx are server blocks. It’s really easy to configure one VPS to serve up multiple sites. The config file is super easy. If you know html, you can easily configure server blocks or “virtual hosts” in Apache speak.

chrisburton
    Participant

Sounds pretty cool although, I don’t really get into that sort of stuff.

nixnerd
    Participant

I get it.

The only reason I am is because I have no less than 3 sites that needed hosting and I’d like them all on the same VPS for obvious reasons.

Anyway, maybe check it out if you decide to create a peer review startup… now that you’re a full time academic ;)

__
    Participant

peer review startup

It’s entirely possible that that will change and something else … will take its place … I don’t know what the winners are going to be, but it’s not going to be number of tweets or Facebook likes.

might have to rethink that in a few years …!

nixnerd
    Participant

I’ve spent so much time messing around in the terminal to configure this VPS, that I finally got bored and navigated through some .hidden files. I just went deeper and deeper. Then I hit this:

__
    Participant

Is it not a clean image? or did you find an easter egg?
    I didn’t think it was possible to get a “used” VPS instance

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 51 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.