Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Google Webfonts in Safari problem

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Artschroed
    Participant

Hi there!

I recently handed a design over to a friend of mine to be coded.
    There’s one problem now: per my wishes he built in Source Sans Pro from Google Webfonts – and it looks perfect in Firefox and Chrome – perfect meaning as light as I wanted it – only in my Safari browser it is bold. And when I say my Safari browser, I mean that quite literally: it is being displayed perfectly on every other Safari browser we’ve tested it on, and it was always the same version (8.0.7) on the same OS (Yosemite). It really just seems to be a problem with my Safari.

Any idea why that could be happening? Is there something installed or activated that blocks Google Webfonts?

(I kind of can’t imagine that this is the problem, but I mention it nonetheless: I am a subscriber to the Adobe Creative Cloud and have Source Sans Pro installed via Typekit on my Mac, which is part of Adobe CC. But the fact that I have Source Sans Pro via this (premium) service can’t be the reason that it blocks the Google Webfont version, can it?)

Thank you very much, any help appreciated!

Greetings, Artur

Artschroed
    Participant

Thank you for your answer!

I’ve deleted the Typekit version – and it works!
    Then I installed an older version of Source Sans Pro that I had downloaded from Google Webfonts, since I need it to design the rest of the site – same problem again.

Is there a way to tell the browser which local version should be used (in this case the light version) in the cases where there is a local version available?

Artschroed
    Participant

Solved!

For anyone who has or will have that problem: we merely defined the font-weight in the CSS again. In the php we defined only one font version (Source Sans Pro Extra Light / 200) and Google didn’t say on Google Webfonts that the weight should again be defined in the CSS. Since it is only a problem when the font is also locally installed I guess it doesn’t happen that often – but should definitely be concidered.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.