Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS [Solved] Font face weight rendering issue on OSX.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    gravitas

Hi All

Ive been using @font-face on a new design, all has been good but im getting inconsistent font weight (basically all fonts have a bold weight even though I have set to normal) results in OSX. After a bit of searching I found a solution for Webkit ‘-webkit-font-smoothing: antialiased;’ but I cant find a solution for Firefox or even better a cross browser solution.

Thx in advance.

Senff
    Participant

If they all have a bold weight, why not just add font-weight:normal; to the declaration?

Though, in essence, I think it’s something we just have to accept that different browsers render embedded fonts differently.

chrisburton
    Participant

That and most are not even hinted for the web. Simply why I love H&FJ

gravitas

@senff Read post again, they are set to normal already.

Senff
    Participant

@gravitas Sorry didn’t see. Other point still stands though.

chrisburton
    Participant
    gravitas

@senff Im not referring to the different way OS’s handle antialiased text but a core difference in the way the font is rendered… see link.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/504792/fonts.png

gravitas

@ChristopherBurton thanks I tried that before posting here but it didnt work for me.

chrisburton
    Participant

Do you have a link to the page?

gravitas

No its on local system

chrisburton
    Participant

Hmm. What typeface are you using?

gravitas
    chrisburton
    Participant

It sounds like you are experiencing expected behavior. The image you linked to looks completely normal (OSX on the left and Windows on the right). Windows and OSX render fonts differently, and most typefaces appear heavier on OSX. For instance, compare the weights on this page (under the ‘Browser Samples’ tab): https://typekit.com/fonts/chaparral-pro

I think you said it best yourself:

Im not referring to the different way OS’s handle antialiased text but a core difference in the way the font is rendered.

You have basically answered your own question without realising it. The different OS’s (and browsers) use different rendering engines, that’s just something we have to live with! Webkit has a font-smoothing property for text, whereas Firefox does not.

gravitas

@joshuanhibbert Both fonts are on OSX, the right is safari with the ‘-webkit-font-smoothing: antialiased;’ fix applied and left is the render in Firefox.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.