Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other @font-face Generator

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    guidt

Hey, everybody.
    Couple days ago I discovered this guy who made this fabulous method to use any fonts we want in our sites.
    http://www.fontsquirrel.com/fontface/generator
    All you need to do is to upload one or more fonts, configure it, then download the font-face kit with 2 CSS files and the font files in the format of your choice: .EOT (IE), .SVG(iPhone) and .WOFF(Firefox 3.6+).
    No Javascript, no PHP.
    It works perfectly in IE6.
    I hope it helps. And sorry if you already know it and by my bad english, hehe.

tafkanator
    Participant

Very nice.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Discovered fontsquirrel yesterday. I’m glad i did.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@Melindrea I agree. It looks like that was created for the sake of making money. Or you rushed through it by the look of the website.

chrisburton
    Participant

@Melindrea @Jarolin I marked it as spam earlier as it appears this person is posting to profit rather than a paid alternative to Font Squirrel. Why anyone would pay a subscription to render an @font-face kit, is ludicrous. Not to mention it doesn’t offer a better alternative compared to Font Squirrel’s options. But apparently no one deleted the comment.

Ricky55

I was too.

chrisburton
    Participant

> What if you have DFONT, PostScripts?

+ dfont are Mac OS X/Unix only supported fonts and will end up going away.

+ OpenType supports PostScript/TrueType outlines and is compatible cross-platform.

> It does not limit file size, 10MB or more

Why would you ever want to convert that many fonts? Why is that an advantage?

> (of course that is protected, no one else knows which font(s) you uploaded).

Again, why is that an advantage? What is the need/importance to protect that data? Just from that comment, I presume that is an advantage because if a user uploads pirated fonts or fonts with restricted licenses, no one will know. It’s an advantage because your competitor, Font Squirrel, takes some steps to prevent this.

> On the other hand, fontsquirrel is making money too just not as direct.

By placing advertisements on their site? Okay? That’s quite common but they also have other businesses that they profit from.

> People these days are too familiar with free things. Have you ever donated to free services like FontSquirrel? Other free open source projects?

I agree. I’m a big supporter of type related projects so yes, I have. Quality can be a big factor in paid services compared to its free competitors. This is why I choose to pay Webtype for true webfonts compared to distributors such as Google Web Fonts.

> What’s difference?

Well, in your case, I feel like what you offer are simple implementations and offer no real benefit. How hard is it to add a file type to a form that a competitor doesn’t offer? Not hard at all. How hard is it to create an unlimited upload limit? Quite simple, actually. Are you aware there are differences in desktop fonts and webfonts? Are you aware that Font Squirrel also manually optimizes webfonts much like Typekit? Does your service offer this?

Therefore, in my opinion, on a forum like this which is related to web developers, your service is not what I would consider a “game changer” or useful in converting fonts for these people to switch to. Not to mention that you have only posted here twice. Both to advertise and advocate your service which is why I marked it as spam.

jminvaja

**Font Squirrel** is not working as of now or may be under maintenance.
    We can use : http://everythingfonts.com/font-face as alternative. it’s free.
    Let’s try this.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.