Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Folder to domain rewrite + 301’s

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    indian

Hello… struggling with this… If anyone can point me in the right direction it would make me a happy guy.

what im trying to do is this-

I have a wordpress website on my server like this:

mydomain.com/html/wordpress/

my old website has good SEO scores and gets a decent amount of traffic. I’d like to have my wordpress folder look like its located in the root of mydomain.com and not show anything of the /HTML or /wordpress stuff. Unfortunately Im having trouble doing this. Does anyone have a good tip on how to fix this with .htaccess?

I also need to do 301 redirects to new wordpress pages from a dozen or so URLs that exist in mydomain/html

any helps is greatly appreciated

clokey2k
    Participant

See: Migrating WordPress from Subdomain
    This was brought up in the past. The advise I gave in this comment seemed to work the best.

If you don’t fancy reading that it does directly reference: http://askwpgirl.com/how-do-i-move-wordpress-from-a-subdirectory-to-the-root-directory/

Redirects just work afterwards due to how WordPress now deals with querys.

Jump in, make the change – if it doesn’t work, change back! If the site content is worth a visit your search ratings will soon return IMO.

indian

thanks for the links i’ll check ’em out. the old site is built entirely in tables with no CMS and horrible URLS etc etc… the new site is a whole ‘nother world for these people

thanks again

clokey2k
    Participant

Ooh I misinterpreted part of your question.

The instructions will allow you to tidy the WordPress URL but you’ll have to find some good tutorials to redirect the old (non-wordpress) URLs. .htaccess might be complicated, but you could place a few php files in the place of the old URLs with a redirect header to the correct post? i.e. ‘/mad-contact-url-that-sux.php’ with a redirect to ‘/contact/’

http://php.net/manual/en/function.header.php – may help.

Again, if the pages are worth it and the mark-up is good people (and therefore Google) will find them!

indian

I’ve been trying to add the 301 redirects to my site.. I’m finding that my server appears to be deleting my .htaccess file every time I add to it my directory. Is there an obvious reason for this?

indian

is there a difference between RedirectMatch 301 and Redirect 301?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.