Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Float/position problem. Help!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Deeper

I’ve run out of solutions and hate to admit it but I need some help. I’m trying to finish off the build of my personal portfolio site.

http://establi.sh/

The content boxes are floated, all the boxes will stay the same height apart from the ‘Blog’ box, this height will differ depending on the amount of content within it. I have the blog archive on a list on the right hand side of the page, if you hover over a post link, using ajax, it brings that blog into the home page. When the ‘blog’ grows and shrinks in height, the 3 boxes underneath move down and up as needed.

The problem is the ‘Intro’ box, how can I make that move up and down in relation to the ‘Blog’ box? At the minute it’s just floated with a big top margin but obviously this doesn’t scale.

I can’t think of a way around it, I did think about absolute positioning the “Intro” box but that would mean putting it on the “Blog” post which would ruin the semantics of it. I presume you could do it with jQuery but want to rely on a CSS solution.

Hoping someone out there can help me, I’ve looked at it way too much now, my brain hurts.

Thanks

clokey2k
    Participant

One thing that has worked in Chromes inspector is to try adding/modifying to:

#intro {
    clear:right; //forces it to start below #blog
    margin-top: -250px; //appears to be height of #intro
    left: -460px; //tweak for preferrence
    }

Seems to work, but I do not know how bullet proof it is.

Deeper

Thank you, I will try that today, seems like a good solution.

Yeah the archive links move to the bottom when the screens really small in width, I haven’t found a suitable place to put them when it’s half size, I’ve set them to display none at the minute so they don’t clash with the content until I figure out the best solution.

Thanks!

Deeper

@clokey2k Your solution worked perfectly, seems so simple now! Thanks

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.