Floating in IE
# September 25, 2008 at 5:08 am
I’m making a website with some floating. It works perfectly in Firefox and Safari, but not in Internet Explorer.
Can someone please help me with this?Code:< !DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">
leftright# September 25, 2008 at 5:56 am
1) You’re missing a closing ">" on your content div. Add that in and it works fine in ie 6/7 (i copied the code and did it myself and it works / validates)
2) Also, you have no character encoding declared. You need that for it to validate, which is always a good thing to do. Add a standard UTF-8 character encoding by adding "<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"/>" to the <head> section of your page.
3) Your <img> tag does not comply with xhtml standards as you’ve declared the code to be at the top of your header. It needs a closing forward slash, ie <img src="http://…." alt="something" />
4) Also, your <head> parent tag is not finished. You need a <title> element for it to validate.
5) I should also point out that "overflow-y" doesn’t exist in css 2.1, it does in css 3 though. As css 3 hasn’t been released by the w3c, it won’t validate unless you take that out.
6) I assume you included the css in the xhtml for the purpose of this post, but make sure you include it in a separate file and link it in the head.
I would suggest double checking your urls at the W3C validation service’s website: http://validator.w3.org/
Here’s the code:Code:< !DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">
Name of Page
# September 26, 2008 at 12:37 am
Yeah, I realize that #1 was what caused your problem. I was merely pointing out issues with that code that are just as important. There’s no point in having a strict doctype if you don’t adhere to it. Catching issues at the beginning is a lot easier than going back through hundreds of lines of code/css later.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.