Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Flexbox prefixes

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    grimski
    Participant

Hi guys,

My question is simply what prefixes to use for flexbox. I’ve had a good look around but I can’t find anything conclusive. Most articles seem to cover, -webkit and that’s about it. In principle, as with most other css declarations, it should just be a case of duplications and adding -webkit-, -moz-, -ms-, -o- in front of each line but it doesn’t seem that straight forward?

For example to set display: flex, to be backwards compatible you need this…

display: -webkit-box; 
    display: -moz-box;
    display: -ms-flexbox;
    display: -webkit-flex; 
    display: flex;

So each property is different, -box, -flexbox, flex. This seems to extend to some other properties, order for example where you have -ordinal-group and order:

-webkit-box-ordinal-group: 1;
    -moz-box-ordinal-group: 1;
    -ms-flex-order: 1; 
    -webkit-order: 1; 
    order: 1;

And align-items, where you have to use box-align, flex-align as well:

-webkit-box-align: center;
    -moz-box-align: center;
    -ms-flex-align: center;
    -webkit-align-items: center;
    align-items: center;

What rules to people follow when it comes to this, do people drop some of the prefixes as support is so minimal? Normally you can just add the browser prefixes in front of the same duplicated line to be safe but it doesn’t look like this is possible with Flex due to all the different variations?

I can’t find a website with a thorough list of all the prefixes …do people, generally, not bother?!

Hope people can shed some light on this, cheers!

Paulie_D

In general it’s simpler to use a prefixing system like Prefix-Free or Autoprefixr and let them do the hard work.

TheDoc

You’ll find this to be a very valuable resource: http://caniuse.com/#search=flexbox

For the most part, I don’t worry about it and I let Bourbon just put them all in for me: http://bourbon.io/docs/#flexbox

grimski
    Participant

Thanks guys! I have a load of mixins set up in a .less file but I’ve never used a prefixing system. I can see how that’d be really useful. I’ll check out the ones you’ve both mentioned!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.