Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Feedburner and MS Outlook

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    mikes

I need some help here. This isn’t really a CSS issue but I know there are a lot of folks here that are familiar with rss feeds so I hope someone can help me out. First off, let me say that I know absolutely nothing about rss feeds.

I set up a wordpress site. I viewed it with IE8 and the little rss icon in the browser lit up indicating that it saw a feed. I clicked the link on the wp page to subscribe and then added it to my list of feeds. I was not required to select a specific reader. I then opened MS Outlook and the feed was there. Everything worked smoothly and intuitively.

However, I would like to know how many people are subscribed to my feed. Everything I found said I should install feedburner so I did. It was easy to install and configure.

When I tried to subscribe, however, I discovered that there was no option to use MS Outlook as a reader. The nearest I could find was Newsgator for Outlook but that is only available with their enterprise package. To make matters worse, MS Outlook wants to be the default rss reader and there doesn’t seem to be a way around it. When I try to subscribe to any site’s feed through feedburner, Outlook attempts to open in order to register it. This is in Windows Vista btw.

Is there a way to get a subscriber count with the built-in wordpress feed?
    Is there a way to get a feed from feedburner that will work in MS Outlook? (for free)
    Is there a way to make another program the default rss reader while MS Outlook is installed?

mikes

Sorry, I was tired last night when I posted that and left a bit out.

I can get a web-based reader like google reader to work but I wanted to use a local reader like feeddemon. When I select the feeddemon feed from feedburner, Outlook opens and attempts to register the feed. If you let it continue this will generate an error. Feedburner doesn’t offer a feed for outlook and outlook doesn’t want to give up its role as the default rss reader.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.