Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Feedback on screencasts, pretty please!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Andy Howells
    Participant

@Watson90 – Ah sorry about that! The RWD side of things will be getting covered probably in video 7-8, I’ll be unleashing a custom variation of one of @chriscoyier’s awesome mixins below;

@mixin breakpoint($point) {
    @if $point == papa-bear {
    @media (max-width: 1600px) { @content; }
    }
    @else if $point == mama-bear {
    @media (max-width: 1250px) { @content; }
    }
    @else if $point == baby-bear {
    @media (max-width: 650px) { @content; }
    }
    }
    frijolito56

I would like if you showed how to use Kirby, Mabey a beginners guide.

Andy Howells
    Participant

@frijolito56 – Well it would definitely be a beginners guide – I’ve had a cursory look around it so definitely not experienced, so it would be me learning it from the ground up too!

chrisburton
    Participant

I spent some time watching a single video of yours last night and was able to convert my blog comments into SCSS. So effing simple.

Andy Howells
    Participant

I think what I like the most about Sass is that you can make it as complex or as simple as you want.

Variables will cover most scenarios, extends for repeating styles and mixins for calculations or if statements.

Compass is really the icing on top so you don’t have to repeat and maintain loads of vendor prefixes.

karlpcrowley
    Participant

Sweet! I’d like to see you do some SASS/Codekit specific videos

As for the time issue you mentioned, I’d stick with longer videos for project tuts and shorter ones that get straight to the point for specific tasks

Andy Howells
    Participant

@karlpcrowley – Thanks for your feedback mate, will definitely put together some application specific videos next.

Andy Howells
    Participant

Hooray, 2 new videos up as we ramp up and get ready for WordPress.

Thanks to @chrisburton I decided to do a double video this time, so it’s around 15-20 mins each, or 40 if you watch them one after another!

[Part 8 (1/2)](http://codeboxers.com/theme-development-screencast-part-8-1/)

[Part 8 (2/2)](http://codeboxers.com/theme-development-screencast-part-8-2/)

chrisburton
    Participant

Preface Studios Ltd
    Participant

With regards to length I suppose its balancing who gets more annoyed. People who like longer screencasts probably find it less annoying to click Next Video than people who don’t like long screencasts. So, while I prefer 20-30min screencasts, I won’t get annoyed at clicking next when it ends at 10 mins (as long as there isn’t a massive intro as @chrisburton said).

One thing I’d suggest is explaining and maybe giving a link to any addons/plugins you use in your programs, as it can be quite confusing when screencast authors forget to do this.

I’ve only watched the first half of part 1 but I’m definitely going to go through the series, cheers for making them!

Andy Howells
    Participant

@patrickzdb – Absolutely, that’s what I’ve done with Part 8 (1&2) it’s a double length one but cut into 15-20 min chunks.

Regarding plugins and stuff, absolutely, the only real one that I’m using that others may not have is Emmet and the package manager on Sublime but I covered those in an earlier video.

That being said, I’ll be using Git Tower in the next one so will provide links and info on it.

Andy Howells
    Participant

[Part 9 is now up!](http://codeboxers.com/theme-development-screencast-part-9/)

I know I promised WordPress this time but needed to finish up the styling and sort out the responsive side of things! Video 10 will absolutely categorically revolve around WordPress!

chrisburton
    Participant

Thanks Andy

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.