Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Equal Height Blocks in Rows (a webfont issue)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    heisrichard

Having taken advantage of this snippet of cleverness – css-tricks.com/8401-equal-height-blocks-in-rows/ – I was wondering why it wasn’t working quite as it should, columns were obviously adjusting, just not quite enough.

When I added additional copy to the blocks, it often fixed the issue.

I am using Google fonts to bring in some slightly more attractive fonts, and it appears this is the issue. The snippet of cleverness is rendering the blocks as if it were using the webfont’s fallback (in this case “Times New Roman”, which renders much smaller than the “Lora” I am using.)

Other than using an alternative fall back font which is of similar size, has anyone got any recommendations or solutions.

(More info if needed)

Cheers,
    Richard

Mottie

I’m about to run out to lunch, but I made the code from that post into a plugin… I changed it so you can use “outerHeight” if you want so the height should include any padding.

I’ll test it with Google fonts when I get back :)

Mottie

Ok, I added headers to the blocks and found out it wasn’t working in Chrome just right. I’ve updated my plugin to include headers and fixed the problem :)

heisrichard

Hi Mottie,

Cheers for looking into this… I’ll take a look when I get back to the project. What I found was that it was accurate (at least, what I expected in Chrome, Safari and IE9) it was rendering based on fallback fonts in Opera and FF (latest versions).

I’ll try and upload an example later.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.