Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Editing Live WordPress Site

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    nosecreek

I need to make some changes to a WordPress site which is already live. This involves two things:
    1. Changing the theme
    2. Adding modules

Changing the Theme
    Is there a way that I can duplicate the existing theme and setup wordpress so that this theme is only visible to someone who is logged in as an administrator? I seem to recall there being a post about this by Chris a while ago but I cannot find it.

Adding Modules
    Is there away to play around with these and how they will look on the website without it being visible for other visitors?

TheDoc

I know this isn’t an answer to your question, but are you against having a dev build that you can make changes in?

Something like, dev.yoursite.com. That way you can make changes, it’ll still be publishing to a url you can send to your client for review, etc. Once everything is approved you can move all of your changes over.

This, in my opinion, is a much safer way!

I know the post that you are talking about, but I can’t find it either! Perhaps it was in a video?

nosecreek

Actually, I hadn’t thought of that. I have tried making changes locally on my own machine and then moving changes over on other sites but I run into problems with databases and file locations (there seem to be a lot of absolute vs relative links). Not 100% sure if it will work since the site is ~500MB (I have no idea why, I didn’t build the original site), but I will look into that possibility.

I haven’t watched any of the screencasts/videos so I don’t think it was in there.

Edit: Never mind about the size problem, most of those 500MB was videos that I don’t need to worry about.

Luminated

Doc’s suggestion is the way to go. Or even an alternate Domain if need be…

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.