Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums JavaScript Dynamic 'active' menu

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    lprintz
    Participant

Hi guys!

I’ve researched and tried SO many things to no avail…I simply want to dynamically set an ‘active’ class based on page url

The latest I tried seemed very clear and concise but no go – http://www.siphon-marketing.com/nav-test/nav-test.html

Can somebody PLEASE help?

Len

Beverleyh
    Participant
    Atelierbram
    Participant

@beverleyh bookmarked! ;)

@lprintz
    there is a javaScript error, visible if you open console in DevTools: jQuery is not included.

But besides javaScript solutions, there are more ways to skin this cat when using server-side rendering, in PHP for example (PHP frameworks like WordPress will set a .current class on the right list-item when using the default menu-builder).

Beverleyh
    Participant

@Atelierbram thanks! :D

Yep, there are ways to do it in PHP too. For anyone not using a framework that adds a class, here’s a simple way to do it in PHP…

At the very top of the web page – above all HTML, even doctype;

<?php 
    $pg = basename(substr($_SERVER['PHP_SELF'],0,strrpos($_SERVER['PHP_SELF'],'.'))); // get file name from url and strip extension
    ?>

This will take a value of “about-us” from an URL that looks like “www.mywebsite.com/about-us.php”.

And to use it in a menu’s li elements to add a class…;

<li class="<?php if($pg=='about-us'){?>current<?php }?>">
        <a href="/about-us.php">About Us</a>
    </li>
    <li class="<?php if($pg=='services'){?>current<?php }?>">
        <a href="/services.php">Services</a>
    </li>

The output on the “about-us.php” page when it is viewed in a browser will look like this;

<li class="current">
    </li>
    <li class="">
        <a href="/services.php">Services</a>
    </li>

Beverleyh
    Participant

@paulie_d, @senff

Eeek! My post got swallowed :( Think I edited too many times. Can you release it from the mod queue please?

GMK Hussain
    Participant

use jQuery

jQuery(document).ready(function() { var url = window.location; jQuery('ul.nav a[href="' + url + '"]').parent().addClass('active'); jQuery('ul.nav a').filter(function() { return this.href == url; }).parent().addClass('nav-path-selected'); });

http://codepen.io/gmkhussain/pen/GZbQYQ

Atelierbram
    Participant

@beverleyh You could rescue it from this gist (copy & paste from email)

@gmkhussain
    something like that was attempted in the demo by @lprintz but the jQuery library was not included

Beverleyh
    Participant

Gulped again! Something about it really isn’t liking me… I’d better wait for a mod to step in :/

Atelierbram
    Participant

@beverleyh happens to me sometimes … don’t know why. Posting to much links (anti spam measure?) ,editing the reply too often and/or two fast in succesion?

Beverleyh
    Participant

Sweet! I’ll try again…

… there are ways to do it (set an ‘active’ class based on page url) in PHP too. For anyone not using a framework that adds a class, here’s a simple way to do it in PHP…

At the very top of the web page – above all HTML, even doctype;

<?php
        $pg = basename(substr($_SERVER['PHP_SELF'],0,strrpos($_SERVER['PHP_SELF'],'.'))); // get file name from url and strip extension
    ?>

This will take a value of “about-us” from an URL that looks like http://www.mywebsite.com/about-us.php.

And to use it in a menu’s li elements to add a class…;

<li class="<?php if($pg=='about-us'){?>active<?php }?>;">;
    </li>
    <li class="<?php if($pg=='other-stuff'){?>active<?php }?>;">;
        <a href="/other-stuff.php">Other Stuff</a>
    </li>

The output on the “about-us.php” page when it is viewed in a browser will look like this;

<li class="active">
    </li>
    <li class="">
        <a href="/other-stuff.php">Other Stuff</a>
    </li>

Paulie_D

@Beverleyh Et Voila

Beverleyh
    Participant

Thanking you, kind Sir :)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘JavaScript’ is closed to new topics and replies.