Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS dropdown menu and IE6

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    antonv
    Participant

I have a small drop down menu made using the suckerfish method which gives me a hard time in IE6…

What happens is that if there is some room to the right of one menu item the following one will be crammed there instead of dropping on the next line. Any ideas on how to fix that?

Here is the link: http://socalscubainfo.com

Thanks,
    Anton

Rob MacKay
    Participant

its probably because your float left is cascading from the #mainnav li so that every li within the #mainnav is floating left, when you really only want the actually main nav buttons to float left.

antonv
    Participant

If it all floats left shouldn’t it actually display properly? It seems like there is no left alignment at all…

AshtonSanders
    Participant
    "Robskiwarrior" wrote:
    every li within the #mainnav is floating left, when you really only want the actually main nav buttons to float left.

To re-iterate: You’ve got two "layers" of <li>s:

The main navigation <li>s don’t move, and when you hover over them, the second layer of <li>s appear. This second layer of <li>s you don’t want to float left… right?

Code:
    #mainnav li li {float:none}
    antonv
    Participant

Thanks guys! Now i got it working by adding the float: none. What threw me off was the float: left part. I thought that by adding the float: left it will do what i needed meaning to stay aligned to the left side but i got it now :oops:

Thanks,
    Anton

antonv
    Participant

One last issue that i have. On some of the pages i have a jump menu that will show over the drop down menus. Here is a link to a page that does that in IE6: http://socalscubainfo.com/us-west-coast … direction/ All other browsers seem not to have any issues with that. Any ideas on what can i do about that?

Thanks for the help and sorry for the noob questions!
    Anton

Rob MacKay
    Participant

Hey – thanks Ashton for the roundup :)

No worries Anton – never be embaressed about asking questions. :)

And on the jump menu thing? sorry I cant see what you mean? Seems to work fine for me in IE6?

antonv
    Participant

On that page if you go hover over "Charts" in the dropdown menu it will appear to be underneath the "Change region and chart" jump menu on my machine… I would hope it’s only happening here!

apostrophe
    Participant

z-index only works if the items in question are positioned. Try this:

Code:
    #main-nav, #main-nav ul {
    margin:0;
    padding:5px 0 0 5px;
    position:relative;
    z-index:2;
    }

#page-content {
    margin-bottom:7px;
    position:relative;
    z-index:1;
    }

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.