Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Detecting browsers without transparency capability

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Jeager

Is there a way that I can use normal rgba transparency’s for something, and have some kind of detection that it will use a transparent image in its place if the browser does not support it?

TheDoc

https://css-tricks.com/rgba-browser-support/

Just provide an alternative for IE6-8 in an IE specific stylesheet.

Jeager

Ah. css3please gives you this:

.box_rgba {
    background-color: transparent;
    background-color: rgba(180, 180, 144, 0.6); /* FF3+, Saf3+, Opera 10.10+, Chrome, IE9
    filter: progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.gradient(startColorstr=#99B4B490,endColorstr=#99B4B490); /* IE6–IE9
    zoom: 1;
    }

Is the fallback there good enough? Or do you need to make a conditional stylesheet still?

TheDoc

Never used that stuff, to be honest, so I’m not sure how reliable it is.

Jeager

So this still hasn’t really been solved. The filter for the script works with IE6+, but what about older versions of FF, safari, ect.. Is there a way I can have the background image load only if the browser is unable to do rgba transparency?

mshort1985

you could use modernizr to do it. just include it on the page in question then style it using

body#no-rgba .vox-rgba {

}

for the styles you want to appear if RGBA is not supported.

Jeager

I could use modernizr, I keep reading about it, but have yet to use/do it. As for the class, wouldn’t that always load the background image, then make it 50% transparent? I was talking about if a browser cant use the rgba, it will have a fallback to a background image. But I think modernizr will be my best bet.

noahgelman
    Participant

I don’t think anyone uses a browser that’s too old to support rgba besides IE users.

No one uses pre- FF3+, Saf3+, Opera 10.10+

Anyone who uses FF, Safari, or Opera, updates often. Usually it’s done automatically for them.

Chrome has always supported it I believe. So really, all you need to worry about is IE. Using Modernizr is a bit over the top just for rgba support.

Jeager

Ah, I understand. I guess I didn’t comprehend the second style being a background. But just to make sure im clear, the first one (fallback) always has to be first on the list correct? I would of assumed the opposite, as it would look for the rgba, then if nor supported go to the next best thing. But I do get where your coming from, and appreciate the help a ton.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.